Coil Resistance

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
eForce

Coil Resistance

Post by eForce »

Hi all. Where is the coil resistor located? I know this takes a non resistor coil. Coil should have 12v on startup and around 10v while running. My voltage is 12v with ignition on and anywhere from 3.4v to 14.1 v while running. It keeps burning the points.
cacockrum

Re: Coil Resistance

Post by cacockrum »

I don’t know about your ‘67 to ’71 Bird, but in earlier models (64-66 for sure) it is located in the wiring harness under the dash, and is a real pain to get to. It is a fairly long pink-insulated wire which connects via a bullet connector close to the ignition switch on one end and near a connector closer to the passenger-side on the other. As you said, its function is to drop the voltage to the coil from 12 V to 6 or 7 V. When the ignition switch is in the start position, a full 12 V is applied to the coil, but when the switch is relaxed to the run position the voltage is reduced to 6 or 7 V. If the full 12 V is continuously applied, the points will burn fairly quickly.
eForce

Re: Coil Resistance

Post by eForce »

Perfect thanks. Now the real tricks to figure out why the voltage is fluctuating so much. It's constant at the battery so the voltage regulator is ok.