1971 Build Quantity?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
saabturbo

1971 Build Quantity?

Post by saabturbo »

Hi all!

New to the forum and thinking of buying a 1971 four door. Does anyone have a source for total build numbers including color allocations?

Thank you!
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1971 Build Quantity?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b: : You didn't dig deep enough into the VTCI website - go to

http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/prod_70-04.htm

for production numbers by body style/interior type.

No records that I'm aware of were published or compiled with breakdowns by color: the only accurate way to get that kind of info is to cajole the outfit that has Ford's magnetic tapes of production records from '67-'73, Marti Auto Works, and buy their "Marti Report" for the individual stats on your car and how it was optioned. Since Marti doesn't support VTCI (their attitude is "if it isn't a Mustang it isn't worth #### to us), I will not promote them any further than I already have here.

The closest I've come to a breakdown by color has been through comparison of an industry-wide color survey produced annually by DuPont against personal research from a personal a database of information gathered from VTCI members' cars and others I've found over 30+ years, but after 1967 the amount of info shrinks substantially as there hasn't been a lot of interest in saving/restoring post-'66 models, even back in the '80s.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
saabturbo

Post by saabturbo »

Thank you so much for the supersonic reply!
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

+1 on the value of the Marti report. Gives you annual numbers that year, and the number sold that was identical to yours in colour and option combination. My '69 is 1 of 180 that year with identical colour and options.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
64thunderbird64

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

I am not sure where Alan got his info about Marti Auto Works. I have personally met Kevin, and he gave me a private tour of his business. He has never, ever, made the statement or shown the attitude that mustang are the only cars that matters. In fact, kevin isn't even a "Mustang guy". he is a Cougar guy, and all around Ford guy.
His business was started because he was restoring a Cougar and couldn't get a detail kit he needed from any Ford dealership. He was given contact info for someone at Ford HQ. He reached out and asked if Ford would make a run of of the detail kits if he bought a certain amount. Ford agreed, and Kevin sold the detail kits he did not need. The rest is history!
Davec

Post by Davec »

I've just posted a thread on this topic. Would be interested to know.