Re: currently rebuilding a '67 clock

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
gbird66

Post by gbird66 »

Just wanted to drop in and say that I've currently got a 1967 Thunderbird clock on my bench undergoing repair/restoration. As you know, the '67 was a one-year-only design. In addition to dis-assembly, cleaning and lubricating (with proper Swiss-made clock oil - no WD-40 here), the solenoid charge mechanism will have a diode added to reduce the arcing between the contacts during reset to further the life of the contacts.

I've been restoring T-Bird clocks off and on since 1998 and it's very rare to find a '67 where the charge solenoid hasn't overheated and melted, effectively making it un-repairable.

I'll post pics when done.

Greg
stove

Post by stove »

AWESOME!
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
gbird66

Post by gbird66 »

Pulled apart the mechanism this weekend to clean and lubricate it, with the proper Swiss-made clock oil. A little bit goes a long way; I've had this bottle since 1998.

I had to file down the reset solenoid contacts and then build them back up with solder as they had become quite pitted from years of arcing when the contacts opened. To counter the spark produced when the contacts open and the magnetic field collapses, thus producing a spark, I added a small signal diode across the solenoid coil windings. While it will not completely eliminate any arcing, it will greatly curtail it, thus adding to the life and health of the mechanism.

Now it's on the bench for "burn in" to check continued good operation and to make time adjustments. This could take a few days but once these mechanisms get "dialed in", they amazingly keep pretty accurate time.

The pics show the front of the clock and the reset solenoid coils with the signal diode across them:

Greg
Tritack

Post by Tritack »

That is awesome gbird66. Is that an easy procedure? It looks like you need to know wat your doing and how the parts work. Mine will need something done to get it working again! Nice work!

Aaron
gbird66

Post by gbird66 »

Tritack,

If you want to PM me, we can discuss what year clock you have and how I may be able to help. I've thought of doing a "how-to" but just never got around to doing it. These clocks, while challenging, are not impossible to service to get many more years of reliable service.

Greg
stove

Post by stove »

Very nice work Greg!
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
gbird66

Post by gbird66 »

The '67 clock's been running on the bench for almost two weeks now and the accuracy is pretty well dialed in. Next on the bench, a 1968-71 clock for restoration that, like the '67 clock, is in fantastic cosmetic condition.

I will post pics of the new project when started.

Greg
ve4jnf

Post by ve4jnf »

Hi JOHN here from winnipeg my clock was a pain in the #@*.So i took it all apart removed the clock guts and replaced it with a quarts battery operated system new hands and everything fit perficaly cant tell the differance. keeps great time cost me a hole 19.00 can. and 1 hour to fix it. parts cam from you hobby shop.