Removing my landau bar

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Post Reply
Bhester
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Removing my landau bar

Post by Bhester » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 am

Hey guys, im in the middle of replacing the vinyl top on my 1968 tudor landau tbird. I am to the point where i am removing the trim and landau bars. The problem is it looks like several of the nuts on the studs for both the trim and landau bar are pretty hard to get to. Im thinking i need to remove my rear seats to gain access to it but i domr want to just start tearing it out if it isnt neccesary. Anybody know if thats what i need to do or any other guidance on this task?

User avatar
redstangbob
Posts: 3232
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: 40 miles east of Wixom

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by redstangbob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 am

Can't speak from experience but that's how it's done on earlier years, even getting behind some of the headliner. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!


Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop

cacockrum
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Contact:

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by cacockrum » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, you will need to remove the back seat (along with a bunch of interior trim pieces) in order to get to and remove the interior side panels. This allows you access to the holes in the interior sheet metal through which the nuts that hold the landau bars can be reached. As I recall, there is some black cloth tape covering these holes. I’m certain that is the way to do it on a ’66, and as best I can recall the same is true for the ’68. Also, pay attention to resealing the hole in the roof when reinstalling the bars. Otherwise you will have a water leak that can eventually cause some nasty rust problems.

User avatar
stove
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by stove » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Bhester wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 am
Hey guys, im in the middle of replacing the vinyl top on my 1968 tudor landau tbird. I am to the point where i am removing the trim and landau bars. The problem is it looks like several of the nuts on the studs for both the trim and landau bar are pretty hard to get to. Im thinking i need to remove my rear seats to gain access to it but i domr want to just start tearing it out if it isnt neccesary. Anybody know if thats what i need to do or any other guidance on this task?
You will also have to remove the quarter window assembly (a giant piece).... When they built these cars @ Wixom, the assembly line started with a landau bar hanging by some thread, and built the car around it.

If your quarter windows are electric, they either don't work, or soon will stop working. I have a fix for that, PM me if interested.
1963 HT Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)

User avatar
stove
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by stove » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:57 pm

stove wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 pm
Bhester wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 am
Hey guys, im in the middle of replacing the vinyl top on my 1968 tudor landau tbird. I am to the point where i am removing the trim and landau bars. The problem is it looks like several of the nuts on the studs for both the trim and landau bar are pretty hard to get to. Im thinking i need to remove my rear seats to gain access to it but i domr want to just start tearing it out if it isnt neccesary. Anybody know if thats what i need to do or any other guidance on this task?
You will also have to remove the quarter window assembly (a giant piece).... When they built these cars @ Wixom, the assembly line started with a landau bar hanging by some thread, and they built the car around it.

If your quarter windows are electric, they either don't work, or soon will stop working. I have a fix for that, PM me if interested.
1963 HT Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)

Bhester
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by Bhester » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Alright so i got the landau bars off in august. Since them ive been picking away at the other trim. The only ones i cant figure out now is the drip rail and the chrome piece at the base of the windshield. I made a short youtube video with a luttle more info and a visual example of my issues! Here it is: https://youtu.be/-w-FySFq2WI Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

RAVEN
Posts: 877
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by RAVEN » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:06 pm

I pulled my 69 shop manuals under Volume 4- Body and will assume that FORD did the same for 68 and found that the roof rail strips were mounted by screws hidden under gaffers tape and the weatherstrip door rubber seals. (No 68 manuals) Understandably Ford printed the manuals for Falcon/Fairlane/Mustang/Thunderbird/Montego/ Cougar/Meteor/Mercury/ Lincoln and MarkIII all under ONE printing, so finding the small details over such a wide platform can be difficult. Since you have a Landau, the roof fabric is retained by pop riveted metal strips located in the drip trough and the screws possibly penetrate UP into those metal strips and possibly the pop rivets penetrate DOWN into the roof rails. A little probing seems in line.
In regard to the windshield, there are screw mounted clips located under the front valence panel, which means you need to remove it to get to the clips/screws
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible

Bhester
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by Bhester » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

This is
RAVEN wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:06 pm
I pulled my 69 shop manuals under Volume 4- Body and will assume that FORD did the same for 68 and found that the roof rail strips were mounted by screws hidden under gaffers tape and the weatherstrip door rubber seals. (No 68 manuals) Understandably Ford printed the manuals for Falcon/Fairlane/Mustang/Thunderbird/Montego/ Cougar/Meteor/Mercury/ Lincoln and MarkIII all under ONE printing, so finding the small details over such a wide platform can be difficult. Since you have a Landau, the roof fabric is retained by pop riveted metal strips located in the drip trough and the screws possibly penetrate UP into those metal strips and possibly the pop rivets penetrate DOWN into the roof rails. A little probing seems in line.
In regard to the windshield, there are screw mounted clips located under the front valence panel, which means you need to remove it to get to the clips/screws
Huge help! Thank you very much!

RAVEN
Posts: 877
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Removing my landau bar

Post by RAVEN » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm

WE all try to help, let me know how you do. Any info I can give, just ask. May not know, but will try.

Wally K (RAVEN)
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible

Post Reply