leak at connection

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

66T-Bird

leak at connection

Post by 66T-Bird »

i have tightened the hose connection on the power steering pump a number of times but i still have a very slight leak i have even removed the motor mount to tilt the engine over slightly to the right to give me more leverage to tighten the 7/8th coupling which is very snug but still leaks what is your suggestion thanks in advance Skip
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
many happy miles VTCI #964
tbird

Post by tbird »

Skip why did you post this in the forum how to heading it would get more help in the 64/66 heading in the first section at the top.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
66T-Bird

steering pump

Post by 66T-Bird »

i'am bad -checked out correct forum!! got to writting and sent off
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Hi Skip
If I remember correctly you do not have A/C but if you do it is just much harder to work in there as you have to go from the bottom.
I assume that the leak you have is on the pressure line on the rear of the pump this is a flare connection and what I have found on some is that the nut has bottomed out against the rear mounting bracket check that if it has you will never get it tight to seal the tube. If you find this is the problem the easy way to fix it go out and find a copper flare gasket it should be a 3/8" I believe, the gasket should be available at a parts store that has a good supply of Weatherhead or similar flare fitting. The gaskets will allow the nut to tighten before it hits the bracket.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
66T-Bird

pump leak

Post by 66T-Bird »

thanks Jim for the reply, yes i do have AC and the flair fitting is what i was thinking too, i will say the nut is not tightened all the way to the body of the power steering unit so is it still a fix with adding a flair fitting or something like a teflon tape? my approach is going to be taking off the motor mount again and tilt the engine again giving me more leverage to tighten again any different thoughts????
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Skip
Don't use teflon tape nothing is used to seal a flare fitting but metal to metal, get some gaskets to install, the power steering pump puts out 400-500 PSI. If you have a Crowfoot line wrench & or a Box End line wrench it will also help in attempting to tighten the line there is also a jamb nut shoulder between the bracket and the pump reservoir it helps to hold it when trying to tighten the flare nut but you need a very thin wrench to get in there I don't remember the size I have a set of them.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars