OK Flair-Birders, time to show off!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

Re: OK Flair-Birders, time to show off!

Post by RedBird64 »

Nice car Eric, did you get to drive her in the snow that day?
It's the one and only time that trans position that allows you to start in second gear is handy. It really helps to get you going with less wheel spin.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
eduncan042

Post by eduncan042 »

My 65 Special Landau after just getting her back in the family after 12 years. Pictured with my '59 Lincoln Mark IV.

Image[/url]][/img]
Eric
'64 Landau
'65 Special Landau
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

2 words Awesome garage.

The Lincoln makes the Bird look like a compact car.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Phil105

Post by Phil105 »

nice tbird, but and AWESOME LINCOLN!! Really don't see those much anymore - especially in a 2-door!! 0X VERY NICE
The more I learn about people, the better I like my dog. Mark Twain
eduncan042

Post by eduncan042 »

Thanks. Yes it's big. She won best of show LCOC and nominated for AACA national award.
Eric
'64 Landau
'65 Special Landau
Phil105

Post by Phil105 »

eduncan042 wrote:Thanks. Yes it's big. She won best of show LCOC and nominated for AACA national award.

I can imagine. It looks really, really nice in the photo. I love the ones you don't see anymore. Getting to where I yawn at most car shows. Really tired of Tri-T's, Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles - and even baby birds. They are all just too common. Nice to see something like your Lincoln on occasion. Saw a 59 Imperial at a show a few weeks ago. Another awesome ride. Congrats on yours.
The more I learn about people, the better I like my dog. Mark Twain
Tulilanka

Post by Tulilanka »

Winter again :drinking:

Not Photoshop, dirty lens.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Nice work as always Mika!

Looks like a long night in Finland but have heart, only one week until the shortest day then it starts to go the other way!
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

No snow here in England for the wedding. (Not mine I should add - someone who had seen the car a few times and asked if I could help)

Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

Wow. Seems that there is a Special Landau everywhere you turn here these days.
Eric - very nice, interesting that my Grandfather had a '58 4-dr Premier that he bought late in life (in the 80s I think), very similar nose. We did not yet have our T-bird at that point in time. Not many cars can make a Flairbird look small :eeeek:
David - hope you had a good time at the wedding! I'm sure that the car helped with a memorable day for the bride & groom.

Adding an underhood picture below. I liked the look of the alum air cleaner housing on the 3x2 set-ups, so bought a similar reproduction part and added the badge. A friend traded me the Cobra Jet valve covers for some storage space... not a great shot, but you get the idea.
I have since painted the brake booster and the oil filler cap black.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

Yes Mark there do seem to be a lot of Special Landaus on the forum but I have never seen another one in the UK and I am beginning to wonder if it is the only one.
There are plenty of Flairbirds about though if you know where to look. I am told the car was the main topic of conversation at the reception although under the hood doesn't bear comparison with yours.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

Thanks. Under the hood looks much better in the photo than it does upon in-person inspection, but it is great for Cruise Nights.

That is great about the wedding, I'm always interested to hear when folks "notice" a cool car. We've been n tours where no-one seems to glance at even a long string of [sometimes loud] classic cars(?). I would suppose that there is not a lot of familiarity with T-birds across the pond there?
Must be interesting to have a giant American car over there... I've been told that the roads are skinny and the fuel price is fat ::roll: Not sure how your car is set-up, we have a non-working odometer, but my best guess is 10 mpg on a nice run.
Last edited by mnpetri on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

mnpetri wrote:Adding an underhood picture below. I liked the look of the alum air cleaner housing on the 3x2 set-ups, so bought a similar reproduction part and added the badge. A friend traded me the Cobra Jet valve covers for some storage space... not a great shot, but you get the idea.
I have since painted the brake booster and the oil filler cap black.
I've run the oval open-element air cleaner on my car (an actual T-bird M-series top) with a cast aluminum base plate set up for a 4-barrel carb and plated '61-'4 valve covers on my '63 and loved the look. Of course your '65 needs covers with a breather/oil fill cap on one and the PCV outlet in the other: I like the look of the finned covers better than the '66 Fairlane GT plated covers (similar to the original ones on a '65-'66), but I bet they're a pain to keep clean.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

Thanks Alan. The look that you describe was my inspiration :cool:
The "open element" air filter also makes it so that at least you can hear the 390 "breathe in" when the secondaries are open... the exhaust on our car is [disappointingly] quiet. Not sure about the original "M" code set-up, this reproduction has both top and bottom cast.
Time will tell about how tough it will be to keep the valve covers looking nice, they just went on last year... overall this is "cruiser class" car, not close to "show" condition.

Mark
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

That is a nice looking engine compartment! I am running the same type of air cleaner on my bird, just with a 428 emblem! :cool: