Under Hood Details

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Bill C

Under Hood Details

Post by Bill C »

I am getting some engine compartment parts powdercoated and want to verify the correct color finish on some of the parts. I am looking at getting the fan shroud, hood gravel guard (thing that attaches to the front of the underside of the hood), shock tower braces, and the fan powdercoated. I know all these parts are black, but what is the correct finish? Gloss, Semi-gloss (what %) or flat black.
1966 Q-Code Town Hardtop
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Bill, all the parts you mention should be finished in semi-gloss black. The 64-66 OFS manual says you can duplicate the original appearance by using an 80% gloss.
It's been said many times before, but the best way to learn the answers to this and many other questions about your car is to pick up a copy of the Original Factory Specifications manual from the Country Store section of this website.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Thanks for the quick reply.
As for the OFS manual, it is beginning to look like this might be more useful and valuable than I had originally thought. I do not intend to perform a concourse restoration, but judging by the info from the OFS that I keep seeing posted here, it seems to contain a wealth of information for anyone who owns, restores and maintains a T-bird. I will probably place my order for one shortly.
1966 Q-Code Town Hardtop
tbird66

Re: under hood details

Post by tbird66 »

hello 60fore,

Powder coating these parts is great. I did the same thing and you don't worry about dings and scratches anymore.

I have a 66 and I guess you have a 64 (60fore). I recommend doing the black brackets that connect to the front grill, possibly the washer bag hanger, and even the coil bracket.

Last but not least, I had my air cleaner powder coated ford blue. Best thing I ever did... Yours might be hard to find castillion gold though... maybe someone with a 64 or 65 could comment.

too bad we can't do the surge tanks due to the solder melting, but...

regards,

mtbird66
60fore

Post by 60fore »

I had my air cleaner and valve covers powder coated this past spring. I was able to find a powder color that's a very close match for Castillian Gold. The results were so good that I plan to have more parts done later such as the radiator shield, fan shrouds, coil bracket, cowl braces etc.
Jim Wulf

Castillion Gold Powder Coat

Post by Jim Wulf »

60tfore (or anyone else),

Did you ever get your air cleaner and valve covers powder coated in Castillion Gold? None of the colors in pictures posted in this thread were correct, as Alan has pointed out.

I have the correct Dupont formula for Castillion Gold, but apparently this cannot be translated directly into powder coat. I've used Dupont Imron in a base/clearcoat formulation and there are definite durability issues - looks nice, but just doesn't hold up.

Here's a link to the correct Castillion Gold color that I want to duplicate in powder coat:

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Castillion_Gold.html

Thanks!!

My Thunderbird website: www.tbirdgarage.com
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Jim, the first thing I did when I was considering powder coating my air cleaner and valve covers was to get a spray can of Castillian Gold paint made up (it took a while for them to dig up the formula) then used it to paint a small piece of sheet metal I had laying around.
Painted metal in hand, I went to the powder coater's and tried to find a color of powder that matched, as closely as possible, this color. I settled on a powder color called Performance Gold and told the coater to do his thing. Comparing the coated parts and the piece of metal I painted in Castillian Gold, they're pretty darn close. Due to the vagaries of digital cameras and computer monitors, the pics I posted show a color that's a little too "pewtery", but in person the color looks quite accurate. Certainly looks a helluva lot better than what the previous owner had done (painted them Olds Gold).
If anyone wishes I can try and get the name of the supplier and part number for the powder that I used.

Jim Wulf

Castillion Gold

Post by Jim Wulf »

Well, that looks as close as anything I've seen to date. Thanks very much for posting the photos. If you could post the supplier and part number, I would really appreciate it. I've got three sets of covers and air cleaners that need finishing.

62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Tomorrow I will stop by the coater's and see if he has that info. I do know the powder had to come from somewhere in the States, it took over a month to get up to me in Edmonton.
Art Kastl

Post by Art Kastl »

Gentlemen - not to get anyone upset but does the cropped pic below accurately depict the correct color for the Castillian Gold we've been talking about.??? Reason why I bring it up is that to the best of my knowledge it came from a unrestored '63 (and looks like it was taken under natural sunlight with maybe a little fill-in flash) :

Sorry, I've been lookin' at Argent Silver all my life... :lol:
62 HT Raven Blk/Red "Original/Un-restored"

2009 Bloomington Gold 'Zenith' Award
2010 VTCI 'Wixom Preservation' Award
2011 AACA 'Historical Preservation of Original Features' (HPOF) Award
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Hi Art,

The valve cover looks kinda right, but the air cleaner looks wrong. I know it's difficult to accurately assess color on a computer screen with all the variations in lighting and monitor settings, but the AC sure looks like the "Champagne Gold" I've seen on many other '63's and '64's. The valve cover, on the other hand, has the greenish/gray cast that is typical of true Castillion Gold:

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Castillion_Gold.html

Do you have more photos? With all the rust going on in there, the AC looks a little too perfect for the rest of the engine compartment. What do you think?

62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Yup, I agree with you Jim, that air cleaner looks a little TOO gold; the valve covers however look right on.
I remember back in the day my uncle had a 1963 Ford Custom (lower trim level of the Galaxie) and to my eye its color was nearly identical to the valve covers in the pic Art posted. If I'm not mistaken Castillian Gold was a color available in the '63 Ford line wasn't it?

Anyways, as promised I stopped by the shop where I had my air cleaner and valve covers powder coated last spring and they were able to provide me with the following info on the powder that was used:

Name of powder color : Performance Gold
Manufacturer : Prismatic Powders (Portland ORE area)
phone 541-826-1422
Part # for powder : UMB - 1808/metallic

For my forum compadres in Edmonton and area, the shop that did my coating is called Impact Coatings Inc. Ph. 780-455-2628 ask for Bruce. They do quality work.
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

[quote="60fore"]For my forum compadres in Edmonton and area, the shop that did my coating is called Impact Coatings Inc. Ph. 780-455-2628 ask for Bruce. They do quality work.

Thanks for the info. Someday I will have to do the "corporate blue" components in my engine compartment.
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
60fore

Post by 60fore »

No problem John. Just remember that powder coating your surge tank is not possible because the temps. used in the process would melt the solder that holds the tank together.
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Did a search, and this was the closest to my question:

Is there a points deduction (in VTCI judged events) for powder coated finishes (assuming the gloss level is "close") in the Senior's or Primary divisions, given that the original finishes were wet coat?

Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda