New Gas tank woes?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jaylorenzo

New Gas tank woes?

Post by jaylorenzo »

I am looking for a new gas tank for my 1964 T-Bird. I see many options with prices all across the board and all off them have different part numbers but they all say that they fit a 1964 T-bird. Any opinions about the best choice or place for getting a tank? I have a feeling they are all made by the same company which is Spectra. Any concerns with fit or quality for anyone who has purchased a tank recently?
Here are two of the ones I found on ebay. They look exactly the same but have the different number and both say they fit the 1964 T-bird?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Ford-Thun ... SwQPlV8cKH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1966-Ford ... Swu4BVw5mp
I've also looked at Larrys and Macs and they have tanks available but the one from macs seems the same and even uses similar terminology to the ebay ads but at a higher price and with shipping. So does anybody have the answer to this gas tank puzzle? Which tank should I go for?
Thanks-Jacob
paulr

Re: New Gas tank woes?

Post by paulr »

Let's simplify.

A Spectra tank is the best one, the one worth buying. There are Chinese copies which would probably work but why not have the best one. Many members here have been through this. The ebay resellers are not the most hardworking bunch; their ad copy is just plagiarized from the same Google search as everybody else. Just get a guarantee that the tank is Spectra built in Canada, and not a copy.

The Tbird and other vintage car suppliers (Macs, etc.) have to charge a little more because they are a niche vendor supplying a higher volume of very specialized parts. They're not making iPhone money. We sometimes do our best to support them to keep them from disappearing from the earth. But, you're right, Spectra's tank is the same wherever you buy it.

My new tank's been installed almost five years and I have a driver. It still looks new.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Re: New Gas tank woes?

Post by RedBird64 »

All I can tell you is I bought the Spectra (because it worked for Paul) and it was identical to the orig I took out. It has worked out great and like Paul wrote, it still looks new.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.