Instrument lamps not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

CM II

Instrument lamps not working

Post by CM II »

The instrument lamps on my 64 are not working. I pulled out the headlamp switch and worked the stem back and forth with no luck. There is no power to the fuse BL-R, SFE 6 Inst Lamps.

The headlamps, dimmer, tail lights and interior lights all work. The gauges are working also.

Thanks!!
64 Landau, wimbledon white / turquoise.
The journey continues.
Terry64HT

Re: Instrument lamps not working

Post by Terry64HT »

I think that fuse is really in line between the light switch and the bulbs, not fed by the bus bar in the fuse panel (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). The power for the lights comes from the switch and first goes through the rheostat on the knob shaft. My first place to look would be there. It's a section of coiled copper wire with a contact that travels across it when you rotate the switch knob. Turning to the right brightens the bulbs by increasing voltage and if you turn the knob completely one way the lights are off. Check that the knob is in the middle of its rotation.
With the switch out, there should be power at one end of the copper coil, and these coils frequently break, so there will be no power at the contact.
The replacement switches now sold are uniformly inferior with the coil being far too small. You can tell by comparing with an original. The ceramic insulator is about 1/3 the size. I think they are out of something like a Falcon. Remember there are about 18 bulbs in the instrument light circuit.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
CM II

Re: Instrument lamps not working

Post by CM II »

Huge thanks for the detailed response. I will pull the switch and take a close look at it. Pat Wilson's has the switch for $70 and it seems there is a difference in the 64 switches and the 65-66.
64 Landau, wimbledon white / turquoise.
The journey continues.