troubleshooting non operating windows.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

JimB66thunderbird

troubleshooting non operating windows.

Post by JimB66thunderbird »

Well I am once again stumped, this time with my windows that do not work and I mean none of the windows work. I was following the manual and checked the fuse box for voltage and had very little. Now the manual says that the ignition switch should be replaced if there is no voltage and the other things the ignition switch controls do not work. What other things does the ignition switch control? I also checked the window relay on the firewall and got good voltage on both the red and on the black wire. I checked the lock and unlock switch and did not get voltage there. I am very confused.
Lee Craner

Re: troubleshooting non operating windows.

Post by Lee Craner »

Jim,

The ignition switch will control things like the heater blower, radio, etc. If these are working, check the master window lock out switch. Assuming the ignition switch is OK, the only things in common with all of the windows are the window relay, the lock out switch and the circuit breaker.

Lee
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Do you have electric seats, and do they work?
They operate on the same fuse. Could be a failing contact/cable that sucks the power for you?
From Sweden.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

There is a safety relay on the firewall that controls power to the windows. If you have no power to the windows at all, check that relay. Is it getting triggered? Does it have power? When it gets triggered, does it feed power to the window circuit.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
JimB66thunderbird

The relay on the firewall is getting power but how would I know when it triggers? The power seat works fine, the radio and blower motor work. The voltage at the master switch is less than a volt and the window switches have the same low voltage. It seems there is a voltage drop from circuit breaker to the switches. Does that seem correct? If so what should I do next? I want to thank everyone for the answers, you are all terrific.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The power window relay should trigger when the switch is in ON or ACC position. You should hear it make a "boing" sound and then the main power pin will have B+ voltage
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
paulr

Post by paulr »

Some relays in the car are more audible than others. My PW relay is absolutely silent but it works. Could also be my hearing, but I've almost gotten my ear right up on the thing. :roll:

Also, some random points on the issue: the ignition switch is not included in the power seat circuit anywhere. Overall, it's sounding like your ignition switch is not to blame. The lockout switch would only affect the rear windows if it was involved with the problem. Have you checked your bulkhead connector for corrosion or breakage?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
JimB66thunderbird

Thanks Paul, I do not know what the bulk head connector is or where it is, could you help there? What I have done is bought am new window relay and will install it when it gets delivered if I find the bulk head connector is the problem.
paulr

Post by paulr »

JimB66thunderbird wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:14 pm Thanks Paul, I do not know what the bulk head connector is or where it is, could you help there? What I have done is bought am new window relay and will install it when it gets delivered if I find the bulk head connector is the problem.
My bad! :evil:
Your '66 doesn't involve the bulkhead connector for this. The relay three-wire assembly is wrapped and passes through a grommeted hole in the firewall. However, looking at the '66 schematic, I see there is a plug in a very unfortunate position above the heater (+-AC) plenum under/behind the dash. It's very doubtful this connection is corroded. I certainly hope it's not. It'd be a booger to access. Beyond that the three wires terminate at the circuit breaker.

I think you've gone full circle back to the new relay option. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
JimB66thunderbird

Once again I am thankful for all the help for the power window problem. I will see what happens with the new relay. As I wait for the relay I am starting to check the drivers side window motor and see there is nothing in the manual about getting to the motors. Daunting but I will work through that also. Thank you again for all the help, it is appreciated.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Once you get to the motors I would get yourself a battery and some wire and jump the motors and see if they work. if they do you know the fault is elsewhere. You can start working backwards from there.
JimB66thunderbird

Very Good news on the window front. I put the new relay in and the windows are working, sort of. The passenger side windows work well but the drivers side do not. The drivers window is getting power and I can hear the motor spin but the window is somehow disconnected. I am trying to figure how to get to the gears on the window and see if the gear is worn or broken. I know it is not connected because I can lift or close the window by hand. Is there any info on the site?
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

JimB66thunderbird wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm Very Good news on the window front. I put the new relay in and the windows are working, sort of. The passenger side windows work well but the drivers side do not. The drivers window is getting power and I can hear the motor spin but the window is somehow disconnected. I am trying to figure how to get to the gears on the window and see if the gear is worn or broken. I know it is not connected because I can lift or close the window by hand. Is there any info on the site?
The windows mech are like a pair of scissors. There are four pins that go inside a plastic wheel (retained by a spring). The wheels run inside rails ( you will get it when you see it).

If you can lift the window, it means that the plastic wheels are broken, or, that they have run ”offtrack”.
From Sweden.
JimB66thunderbird

phobos, thank you for the response. I cannot see the connection because I cannot view the connection. All I can see is the about 3/4 of the motor and that is the bottom of the motor. I must be not thinking correctly because I cannot figure out how to get the entire inside panel off so I can see the gear setup between the window and the motor gearbox(?). I see the 4 nuts that I think hold them together but I have no idea how to access the connection between the window and the gears that operate the window. What am I missing?
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

JimB66thunderbird wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm phobos, thank you for the response. I cannot see the connection because I cannot view the connection. All I can see is the about 3/4 of the motor and that is the bottom of the motor. I must be not thinking correctly because I cannot figure out how to get the entire inside panel off so I can see the gear setup between the window and the motor gearbox(?). I see the 4 nuts that I think hold them together but I have no idea how to access the connection between the window and the gears that operate the window. What am I missing?
You have to remove the door panels. After that, you remove the bolts and remove the motor and window with assembly.
From Sweden.