1966 Tbird break lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

SmerksTbird66

1966 Tbird break lights

Post by SmerksTbird66 »

When driving, my break lights do not activate when I push the breaks; however my break lights work. I parked and I pressed the breaks, they did not activate until I pushed on the pedal all the way down. How can I adjust the sensitivity so that when ever I engage the break pedal, the break lights will illuminate?
OZZY Stewie

Re: 1966 Tbird break lights

Post by OZZY Stewie »

I had the same problem on my 64. Don’t know if a 66 is the same but on mine the brake lights are activated by a switch on the master cylinder and needed a lot of brake peddle movement for them to work. Not good in heavy traffic.
I think there is a switch you can buy that activates at a lower brake pressure. One of the T’bird venders sell them.
I did away with that switch and made up a bracket with a mechanical switch mounted near the brake peddle which works as soon as I move the peddle 1/8 of an inch and long before I can feel pressure on the peddle.
I also mounted two LED lights, chrome bezel and very small on the dash (for L and R brake lights) which tell me the lights are on whenever I push the peddle. One will flash and one steady when I use the flashers.
Best move I ever did on the old girl !!!
Regards, Stewie from OZ
1964 Ford Thunderbird Landau
And I'm living the dream!!!
paulr

Post by paulr »

The two model years are different. 66 has pedal-mounted mechanical switch. You’ll have to remove the driver’s seat to get a look up at the pedal assembly to see the switch. Yours is failing. Check for loose wiring or the switch itself may need replacement. Switches are available from any Tbird vendor.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbird

Post by tbird »

Same mechanical switch is used for 65/66.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars