1964 tbird passing inspection

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

s1nemesis1s

1964 tbird passing inspection

Post by s1nemesis1s »

Hello All,

As some of you know I just purchased a 64 'bird from out of my state. In my state of Kentucky in order to register the car in my name - without it being a salvage title I need working Brake light, turn signals, headlights, horn, and emergency flashers. (just out of state cars are inspected...we have no other inspections...) So, I have everything working now except for the darn flashers. I do not believe my car has interior lights or at least the courtesy lights do not seem to be coming on. When I turn on the headlights the gauges are the backlite.

Anyways, I looked under the driver's side for the emergency flasher and found to my surprise a connector looking like it might be missing a relay - pretty big connector with multiple points of contact. I am unsure if this is related. I did put a fuse in the correct spot for the flashers, but when I hit the switch - its no good - I get zero action.

Can you think of a relay that I might be missing, or perhaps a new emergency flasher will solve the issue (it's on order). I understand the emergency flasher is on the passenger side, would it be on the firewall?

Lastly - I am considering having something rigged up or doing it myself. Is there a place to tie into that I could put a relay on and a switch to make these lights flash?

So frustrating. I just want to transfer the darn car into my name, not register it, and take it back home and put it in the garage and work on it this summer.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!
RAVEN

Re: 1964 tbird passing inspection

Post by RAVEN »

Just so you are aware, a stock UN optioned 64MY Bird did not come with Emerg Flashers.
The only way a 64MY Bird would have 4 Way Flashers was if it had the optioned Convenience Package, which was located in the middle dash below the clock housing. It consisted of Vacuum Door Locks, Low Fuel Warning Light, Door Ajar, and the Flashers.
If your car does not have the Convenience Package then you will not have Emerg flashers. You will have to retro fit them, or be exempt from having them since they did not exist in 64 when car was built.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

My flasher unit is on the drivers side. It is a black connector with an orange yellow stripe, blue and 2 brown wires attached.
dan42

Post by dan42 »

I believe my 64 has two flashers, one for the turn signals mounted on driver side above steering column and one for the hazard flasher on the passenger side above the fuse panel. My car does have the convenience panel.
'64 conv. black on black red interior
64 hardtop parts car
'94 lx 4.6
VTCI # 12001
s1nemesis1s

Post by s1nemesis1s »

Hello,

So mine does have that package...hmmm, they don't need to know that lol.

Seriously, I ordered fuses and a new emergency flasher. Past that, any ideas folks? I would like to get them to work/probably need them to work.
paulr

Post by paulr »

s1nemesis1s wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm Hello,

So mine does have that package...hmmm, they don't need to know that lol.

Seriously, I ordered fuses and a new emergency flasher. Past that, any ideas folks? I would like to get them to work/probably need them to work.
Just to be sure we're on the same page, your '64 has this under the clock, right?:
IMG_0824.jpg
That toggle on the right is the switch. If you open up the clock pod (undo the screws you can see, remove the "jet" toggle knobs, lower the pod carefully) you can check the switch behind that toggle for connections. (Careful, with the safety-convenience group there is a nest of vacuum tube and electrical connections there--don't undo what was connected before this.) Beyond that, there's only the flasher unit to check. The flasher for this guy is located down behind the passenger side kick panel. It's way the heck up above the fuse panel; you'll be taking ibuprofin for your neck pain when this is done. That's a standard 2 prong flasher you can get at Autozone or whatever you have. I put in a heavy duty one because I wanted to hear the click.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
s1nemesis1s

Post by s1nemesis1s »

Yes mine looks exactly like that but nothing lights up lol. I'm wondering if power that is needed is cut for this panel. I found a connector that was loose on the drivers side that looks like it went into a relay. However, I see no relay...

I got the flasher on order and I'm going to clean up the fuse panel contacts and replace the nasty looking fuses.

That harness/connector bothers me, hmmm...
paulr

Post by paulr »

s1nemesis1s wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:14 am I found a connector that was loose on the drivers side that looks like it went into a relay. However, I see no relay...
I don't know what you found on the driver's side. For sure, though, it's no part of the emergency flasher circuit. Could you get a picture and attach it to your post? The only driver's side relay and connector I can think of is the seatbelt warning light in the console. Is that working?

There is another flasher that is mounted on the driver's side up high on the brake support for the turn signal. But you said the turn signals worked ok. So there's that.

Trust when I say the emergency flasher is going to be a literal pain in the neck to reach. Remove the whole right side kick panel and it will still be hard to get at. I removed mine from the bracket and just let it hang down for easier reach next time. Just a tip.
IMG_5044 (1).jpg
You can post pictures by clicking the Attachment tab, then "Add files" at the bottom of the post screen.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

In some states including mine (RI) registering the car as a antique skips the need for inspection.
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Amazingly, car inspections are not required in California. Everything else is required however!
1964 TBird Hardtop
1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Inspections are a mixed blessing. I understand they're kind of a pain but in places where they dont have them, like here, there are thousands of cars running around with lousy brakes and missing brake lights.

I wonder what a state would do about a car like mine that never had 4 ways?
I did add them though and I've needed them. NOS switch is hidden in glove box.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

RedBird64 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 am I wonder what a state would do about a car like mine that never had 4 ways?
I'm sure they would be exempt or otherwise grandfathered in under some sort of "antique" standard. My Model A didn't even have turn signals, let alone 4-ways.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 am Inspections are a mixed blessing. I understand they're kind of a pain but in places where they dont have them, like here, there are thousands of cars running around with lousy brakes and missing brake lights.
Neglected old jalopies caroming around the streets here are one thing. I'm watching out for new cheap import and domestic models with crap technology. They're two years old with brake lights and such failing! Yesterday, I watched a newer Smart (Ha! :roll: ) car come to a halt in front of me at a RR crossing with barely fluttering brake lights followed by no lights...wtf!

I wonder what a state would do about a car like mine that never had 4 ways?
I did add them though and I've needed them. NOS switch is hidden in glove box.
I'm fascinated that you wired this into your main harness without spooking the existing system. If you're ever up for a "how-to" in the General Tech section I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to read it.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Paul, it's not a difficult thing to do, if you understand wiring schematics or circuits, it's the tye in points that matter, so back feed will not occur causing short circuits.
I have installed Conv Packs on cars in the past with success, it was locating the parts from parts cars as the challenge. Locating the door vac motors, door latches, fuel senders, dash modules, functional vacuum solenoid modules and all related parts was the real barrier. The wiring harnesses have to be fabricated to retrofit, but not difficult, if you collect the connector ends.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Paul, the 4-ways are really simple once you've seen the circuit. The short-cut is using the orig switch.

You need a fused +12V supply connected to one side of a standard, two terminal blinker. (Use a HD blinker because of our many tail light bulbs)
Connect a wire from the other side of the blinker to the factory switch.
Connect two wires, one to each of the turn signals circuits (available at the bottom of the colum). Doesn't matter which goes where.
Connect the loose ends of the above two wires to the other terminals of the switch.

The switch does all the work because it goes from no connection to connecting all three connections together when turned on. The blinker activates when ever it senses current passing through it.

The only down side to this arrangement is that the indicators on the qtr panels wont show the blinking (unless you want to add some more wiring which I didn't deem necessary).

Two weeks after installing 4-ways my coil left me sitting on the side of the road. I was sure glad I had them then.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.