column shifter roll pin STUCK

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

column shifter roll pin STUCK

Post by methos76 »

I have a 66 thunderbird the roll pin holding the shifter in place wont come out, I have it in the garage getting a bunch of things fixed and replaced, I bought a new shifter but they have sprayed it with penetrating oil and such the say they are afraid they will break the column if they beat on it any harder. I know I cant drill it so any suggestions or cure would be greatly appreciated
Alan H. Tast

Re: column shifter roll pin STUCK

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Modify a c-clamp and press it out?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

methos, I moved your general question out of the tech section again. Please don't post in the tech section until you're ready to give us an article, or even a quick guide on how to accomplish something on a Thunderbird. If you read the heading of the section, things should be clear. Thanks
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thanks alan i'll have to try that
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I cut a 2X4 to the correct length to go between the floor and the boss for the shifter and beat it out.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you redbird64 i'll have to check that out after I get my car back, and my apologies for posting in the wrong section
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I did mine using a 2x4 as Scott suggested. You need a piece of something like plywood of decent thickness on the floor to spread the load in case your floor pan is weaker than you thought. The shifter can't be in Park, it has to be so that the roll pin is vertical when you hit it. Drill a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole in the end of the 2x4 about an inch or so deep so that the pin has somewhere to go as you drive it out. The roll pin punch should be the exact size so you don't mess up the shift collar. Some years ago, I had been given one of those battery powered nailers that rapidly taps the nail head. I never found a use for it until I used it to remove and insert the roll pin.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you terry64ht
tbird

Post by tbird »

methos

If you did a search of the forum you will find several posts with methods of getting the roll pin out of the shift lever.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Richard

Post by Richard »

I did the same thing Scott suggested with the 2x4.. I also used penetrating oil for a few days before I did it..Worked real well..Also when replacing I also used a new rubber bushing. The bushing needed to be greased a little to go in..I also found the right punch from a gun tool website,been a while and dont remember which site but there are plenty on the web..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Make sure they are using the correct size punch. There is also a special roll-pin punch that centers itself on the pin that works best
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA