66 leaf springs

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

66 leaf springs

Post by methos76 »

I have a question about new leaf springs, I have a catalog for the bird nest which is macs auto parts and a catalog from larry's thunderbird and mustang parts. they both list new leaf springs for a 66 thunderbird but the prices are as different as night and day. bird nest wants basically 600 dollars for a new pair but larry's wants 137.65 a piece for them. does anyone know why the prices are so different, they are both rated the same. looking to get my rear end raised up a little. also anyone know where I can get helper springs for the back of it. any help greatly appreciated
RedBird64

Re: 66 leaf springs

Post by RedBird64 »

I have found that Larry's will offer parts whether they are correct or not. Then when you tell them they aren't right they balk at any kind of return or refurnd.

I got mine from the BN. IIRC, they buy source them locally (made in USA) . They seem to be quality parts and the fit was perfect.
I also replaced the front springs at the same time and now the back of the car sits slightly higher than the front.
For even more lift or capacity, you can use convertible springs.

If your car sits high in front, it may have the "silver" stripe coil springs. Mine had them and always sat high in front. I have no idea why the PO had them installed but the car sits and looks a lot better with the stock springs all around.

Scott

BTW, if anyone want's a good low mileage set of silver fr. springs, they are free to anyone who can pick them up.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

what about helper springs, any idea where I can find them. searched but never got a definite place to find or order them
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Methos; in your post you state if I read you correctly that the Bird Nest is Mac's (Ecklers out of Florida) . ARE YOU CORRECT or am I miss reading you?
Please explain.
I have dealt with both and neither have worked in the same fashion in customer service or quality,
One can not say they are the same!!!!
Each supplier has his cost base and method of sale. I do know Mac*s sells off-shore product, and they even state it and do not deny it.
To each his own, but if you are sure, let me know, I will be the wiser.
I do know, a lot is shared items, 1 manufacturer multiple venders.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I read his post as "and" so I didn't catch the Macs/BN thing. Once again I'm not paying close attention :lol:
They are most assuredly not the same company. (Don @BN would be having a heart attack if he heard that) :mrgreen:

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

well I ordered parts from BN and they included a catalog with my order and the catalog is mac's. seems strange they would send me a catalog from a totally different vendor. considering I ordered the parts from BN catalog
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!
1964 Red Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

RAVEN wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 pm THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!
X2!!
Is Don retiring or out of the picture for some reason?!?

EDIT: I sent the BN an email for clarification.

Scott
paulr

Post by paulr »

methos76 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 pm I have a question about new leaf springs, I have a catalog for the bird nest which is macs auto parts and a catalog from larry's thunderbird and mustang parts. they both list new leaf springs for a 66 thunderbird but the prices are as different as night and day. bird nest wants basically 600 dollars for a new pair but larry's wants 137.65 a piece for them. does anyone know why the prices are so different, they are both rated the same. looking to get my rear end raised up a little. also anyone know where I can get helper springs for the back of it. any help greatly appreciated
Why do you want helper springs? To me, that sounds like you have low expectations for the spring rate of the spring you're installing. Start by finding out who your manufacturer is. I'd just avoid Mac's altogether regardless of price. This is one of the single most important installations to choose right--not based only on price. If your stance is wrong, your car will look silly and you'll be buying add-ons and gimmicks and not getting any closer to your goal, but overspending what you were trying not to do in the first place.

Eaton Detroit is the manufacturer that will produce the spring with the exact ride height you want, whether stock or custom, and will be made of American steel, and will probably be cheaper or the same as Bird Nest (and good luck getting a brand from them--not knocking BN, I've spent $bank there, good guys). You don't have to buy direct from Eaton, but it's simpler than finding a vendor. Don't forget about shipping. Heavy stuff. Can you go there yourself? Do some homework on these, it's worth it. Cheap springs from China will sag with every bump you go over and you'll see it in photos sooner rather than later. Good luck.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/db/e ... -%20390cid
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

If the Bird Nest is now under ownership of Mac's there is trouble in our future.
When it comes to certain repop items any one of the suppliers are the same. One manufacture, multiple sellers, very close pricing, shipping separates the boys.
On other things, the service sells the price and product. I have never had a problem with the Bird Nest. I HAVE HAD problems with Mac's and more than once.
Location and shipping costs tips the scales on who I use, with weighted choice towards the Bird Nest and Pat Wilson. East vs West.
If Mac's has the Bird Nest, I chose Pat Wilson.
Last edited by RAVEN on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Red Convertible
methos76

Post by methos76 »

hey I wasn't trying to start a rumor, just going by what I received with my shipment. just seems weird I would get a catalog for a different supplier from the place I purchased my parts from. and I was asking about helper springs because I really don't have the money for a new set of springs that's all
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I love the T-bird vendors that support our cars with the parts we need to keep them on the road, particularly those vendors that really care about quality and customer service.

However, when I am looking for engine parts, I go to vendors that specialize in Ford FE engines, and if I were putting new springs in my car, I would get them from Detroit Eaton Spring.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
DakotaLee

Post by DakotaLee »

For what it's worth - I'm about a year into my new leaf springs from BN, and I have zero complaints. I usually have a lot of heavy crap in the trunk, on top of 4 passengers, and couldn't be more satisfied with the kit I bought.
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

If you want a quick fix turn your rear shackles upside down until you have money to buy new springs. That will straighten it up some.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ive heard about flipping the shackles around but when I looked at them the top is narrow and the bottom is wide, so how does that work? just a little confused