Trunk Bumpers ????

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Gordie9

Trunk Bumpers ????

Post by Gordie9 »

I'm finishing up the restoration of my 66' Town landau and my body & fender guy asked me about rubber trunk bumpers. I don't remember removing any but it looks like they would be installed at the rear corners of the trunk lid, where there appears to be mounts In the sheet metal. I've looked at pictures of other cars and don't see any bumpers and the T-bird parts vendors don't show any in their catalogs, but my car has holes on the mounts at the trunk corners which make me think something was installed there. Does anyone have rubber trunk bumpers on their cars??
Terry64HT

Re: Trunk Bumpers ????

Post by Terry64HT »

I always assumed they were drain holes.
Terry
64HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

There there never were any rubber bumpers on my 64, just the drain holes Terry mentioned.
Bit's of rust would fell out of those holes for several decades until the body shop did major surgery on the deck lid!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

As explained very well above, the two visible holes are drains. However, there are two bumpers—I guess they’d be called trunk bumpers—that mount between the bumper and the frame. They are out of sight until you remove the bumper. When I get home I’ll look for a spare pair I have and add a photo here.
Sometimes they’re removed in a paint shop and not put back.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson