Rebirth of a 64 Hardtop - Part 1

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tbird

Re: Rebirth of a 64 Hardtop - Part 1

Post by tbird »

Sorry about that sure looked like a G to me late at night checked the data plate several times and saw a blurry G and I was not drinking or smoking anything. Data plate looks clear this morning and the C is not a listed color code so would be a special color.

Took a further look at the Code C listing in the VTCI OFS and find it listed their as being Princeton Gray Metallic with the comment of (Dk.). The 1955-70 pocket I.D. Decoder Manual Does not list Code C in it.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Ditzler paint card shows code C as Princeton Gray Poly, for Lincoln Continental so must have been a special order.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
64thunderbird64

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

The term "Special Order" is almost always used incorrectly.

This would have had to be a Pre-sold Unit(PSU). PSU means someone went into the dealership and ordered the car with the options and colors they choose.

Special Order refers to a car that as something, not was not really available on the car. We see a lot of special orders for special exterior color, when someone ordered a car with a special paint color, the data plate is blank and we see a 5 digit DSO. Because this Gun Metal Grey isn't a color ford had to "mix" for this car, this wouldn't qualify as special order which is why we see the "C" in the paint code spot. "C" was available, you just had to ask for it.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.
Terry
64HT
amtrakacela

Post by amtrakacela »

64thunderbird64 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am The term "Special Order" is almost always used incorrectly.

This would have had to be a Pre-sold Unit(PSU). PSU means someone went into the dealership and ordered the car with the options and colors they choose.

Special Order refers to a car that as something, not was not really available on the car. We see a lot of special orders for special exterior color, when someone ordered a car with a special paint color, the data plate is blank and we see a 5 digit DSO. Because this Gun Metal Grey isn't a color ford had to "mix" for this car, this wouldn't qualify as special order which is why we see the "C" in the paint code spot. "C" was available, you just had to ask for it.
Great explanation! So after seeing all the comments, I am guessing it is safe to assume color C was more on the rare side?
Dylan Angell

1964 Tbird Hardtop (under restoration since October 2017)
1963 Tbird Hardtop (under restoration since January 2021)
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Since the colour was specific to Lincoln, and both cars ran down the same assembly line, and if you asked for that "Grey" colour; would that not make it a Special Order, or a Custom Order? An option available to you, if you specifically requested it. Its not as if the car had to be shipped off site or paint brought in to be applied.
Half full or half empty glass of water.
Wonder what Alan's take on that thought of SPECIAL order or OPTION order.
Do consider, certain parts would need to be sprayed separate from car then installed, which adds logistics to the assembly of the car, making it more labour intensive, or more special than any other car on the line.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
64thunderbird64

Yes, I think we can all agree that gun metal grey is rare. This is personally the first true "C" I have seen. The Thunderbird Registry currently has 4,383 1964 Thunderbird documented, while some of those we do not have any codes for. We only show 14 cars with the color code "C".

As for the Special order Vs. Pre sold Units go, no this is not a special order. While they would watch this car more closely, have to scheduled based off what parts they have and such it was a standard color, it wasn't a custom mix. If the car was a custom color, or a slightly different shade of "C" the color code would be blank on the data plate, and there would be a notation on the gate release. Take a look at the gate release I have attached, this is a true special order car, notice the "PTO" line at the on the option list. this car was ordered with nylon Firestone tires, which was not available or offered on Thunderbirds. I am not trying to argue here, just trying to clarify definitions.
Attachments
6y87z140906 gate release.jpg
paulr

Post by paulr »

64thunderbird64 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am I am not trying to argue here, just trying to clarify definitions.
The more detailed info, the better. Thanks!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

I like your attitude. Good luck on this. There is a lot of help on this board. Also check out thunderbird ranch. He has lots of parts and also has a completely black 64. I mean all black including chrome. http://www.tbirdranch.com/
I was in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis in November 1973. I bought my 65 Thunderbird near there and was hooked on Thunderbirds ever since.
64thunderbird64

bwssr wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 pm I like your attitude. Good luck on this. There is a lot of help on this board. Also check out thunderbird ranch. He has lots of parts and also has a completely black 64. I mean all black including chrome. http://www.tbirdranch.com/
Is that who owns the black bird? I could never knew who owned it, but I freaking love that car!!!
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

It appears that there is miss information about color code C for the 64 bird. Yes it is a mid to late model year introduction. The other itroductioncolor was V which was called sunlight yellow. If the showroom book for 64 got updated both these are included in the book. The color may not have got updated in the paint example. I do not know when it or V became available but they are not special order paints after that time. That said if you had the right connections FORD would paint your car any color you wanted. How many have heard of Guardsman Blue. This was avail on the Full size fords as well as the color used on the Cobra. I have a documented 64 Landau painted this color.

I have only seen one car painted this color and became enamored with it. After looking for a good example for years discovered that the color was a green tinted metallic grey rather than the blue tinted version.

By the way good luck with the restoration as you have undertaken a monumental job. If I can be of any help in the future please ask away.

Fuz
58's and 64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Cell 608-358-2275
64thunderbird64

Fuz,

do you have pictures of this blue car you are talking about? or a gate release? would love to see it!
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

I will have to look thu My several books of paperwork. Be patient as it may take me a few days
Tanx
Fuz