1965 tbird drivers door window adjustment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

CoralBird87

1965 tbird drivers door window adjustment

Post by CoralBird87 »

So i just bought a 65 tbird amd the drivers door window doesnt line up prperly with the rear quarter window at the top. There is about a 3/8" gap. Does anyone have a diagram of wich adjustment bolts id loosen to adjust the top of the door window back? Im ordering a manuel on the 15th just thought id ask here so i can get it fixed sooner. Couldnt find it listed anywhere on here yet.
paulr

Re: 1965 tbird drivers door window adjustment

Post by paulr »

You might as well get busy removing your door panel; that will be an exercise in patience by itself considering the remote mirror, courtesy light, etc. It sounds like the upper window stops are to blame; I think the manual calls them dovetails. There are two--one forward and one back--that limit the amount of upward travel. With the window in the up position, they can be adjusted with a 3/8" socket (I think??). There are access holes in the door sidewall; best to look through them to see.

After adjusting the two stops so they bring the glass up to the roof rail evenly and the door/quarter channel gap is closed, there is an equalizer arm bracket that you loosen to adjust, and then re-tighten. You can't see the arm, but there are two 9/16" (again, methinks?) nuts roughly in the center of the inner panel for this adjustment. This would be really hard to guess at without the door graphic in the manual, but graphic or no graphic, prepare yourself for a simplistic but very tedious task. Once these windows are out of sync due to repairs or whatever, getting them back into form can potentially last days. Might as well give it a start while you're waiting for the manual.

And welcome, btw.

P.S. There is also another adjustment for in-and-out tilt, but I didn't hear you say the tilt was bad so, best to leave that alone.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
CoralBird87

Post by CoralBird87 »

:!exclaim:
paulr wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm You might as well get busy removing your door panel; that will be an exercise in patience by itself considering the remote mirror, courtesy light, etc. It sounds like the upper window stops are to blame; I think the manual calls them dovetails. There are two--one forward and one back--that limit the amount of upward travel. With the window in the up position, they can be adjusted with a 3/8" socket (I think??). There are access holes in the door sidewall; best to look through them to see.

After adjusting the two stops so they bring the glass up to the roof rail evenly and the door/quarter channel gap is closed, there is an equalizer arm bracket that you loosen to adjust, and then re-tighten. You can't see the arm, but there are two 9/16" (again, methinks?) nuts roughly in the center of the inner panel for this adjustment. This would be really hard to guess at without the door graphic in the manual, but graphic or no graphic, prepare yourself for a simplistic but very tedious task. Once these windows are out of sync due to repairs or whatever, getting them back into form can potentially last days. Might as well give it a start while you're waiting for the manual.

And welcome, btw.

P.S. There is also another adjustment for in-and-out tilt, but I didn't hear you say the tilt was bad so, best to leave that alone.
Awsome thank you. That at least gives me a place to start. Much appreciated
paulr

Post by paulr »

I neglected to say about the bumpers...

Each stop (dovetail) has a very small rubber bumper, about the size of an aspirin. Odds are your previous owners have not replaced them with new ones. After 5 decades, these will be worthless but, they perform a huge service in terms of correct adjustment, and even in motor function (another story). See if you can access those for change-out. Source link: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndet ... 0b&uKeY=82
Good luck. Screenshot:
Screenshot 2018-11-14 12.47.38.png
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson