speedometer number on unit

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

speedometer number on unit

Post by methos76 »

yes I have a 66 bird and the white that is supposed to be on the numbers of the speedometer is all wore off, any idea what I can use to make them white again. anyone else have that problem? thanks in advance for any help
Dansbirds

Re: speedometer number on unit

Post by Dansbirds »

Don’t know if it’s proper but I used model paint from my local hobby shop. I searched and searched and never found any solid info on what to use. Are you doing it in the car or have you removed the whole piece?
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The speedo numbers are SILVER and can be refreshed in several ways.
One method is to use a Sharpie pen with a wide tip and dab the number faces. Another is to totally disassemble the dash and remove the numbers unit, mask out and repaint.
Methos; you are taking on a lot of projects which we, within the group, have done before, a lot of the info is contained in the SEARCH area. That area can give you different opinions to which you can choose your preferred path.
Agreed, the FUN is in the build or rebuild.
Good luck, it seems you are really digging in to the project.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Is the center part of the number (inside the silver edges) black or a dark, slightly transparent green so that a bit of light shows through?
Terry
64HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

Terry64HT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 am Is the center part of the number (inside the silver edges) black or a dark, slightly transparent green so that a bit of light shows through?
Terry
64HT
Right. The edges are argent silver, the centers are translucent green. Looks black until the lights are on. Got a pic somewhere...not finding it.
RAVEN wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 am The speedo numbers are SILVER and can be refreshed in several ways.
One method is to use a Sharpie pen with a wide tip and dab the number faces. Another is to totally disassemble the dash and remove the numbers unit, mask out and repaint.
It's a Paint Sharpie, which uses oil based paint, as opposed to the standard ink Sharpie. And, importantly, it takes a very steady hand as the paint can flood the area and is not easy to clean out of the wrong tiny spaces.
PICT0008.jpg
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

yes I am digging into it, I just should have started earlier in the summer, the car has a lot of issues and im trying my best to address them all. as I said before I cant afford to put it in the shop for a bunch of work so im butthole deep in doing as much as I can by myself. I appreciate all the help the members of this forum have given me.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I second the paint pen option. The one I used came from a craft store and was called a "silver leafing pen." Took a little practice, but the results were good. After 5 years, the paint has held up well (though I take care not to scrub the dash too hard.)

~Steve
131129-IMG_20131129_164728521.jpg
My notes on the project are here: http://thunderbird.seebart.org/archives/783
methos76

Post by methos76 »

that is sweet looking, thanks
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Steve's blog on his website is an illustrated bible for restoration of these beasts. Bookmark it and read all the posts, well worth the time.
Terry
64HT