HEATER HOSES...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

HEATER HOSES...

Post by gravelman »

In my haste and overconfident of my ability to remember I've forgotten which size heater hose goes between the intake and the evaporator box and which size from the water pump. I believe one is 1/2" and the other is 5/8".

Thanks,

Mitch
paulr

Re: HEATER HOSES...

Post by paulr »

5/8” and 3/4”.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Paul,

I just found an instruction sheet from Edelbrock for my aluminum water pump, they call for the 5/8" hose from the water pump to the heater core. So I guess that makes the 3/4"hose between the intake and the heater core?

Thanks for your quick reply...
paulr

Post by paulr »

There's only one 3/4" hose to the core; the rest are all 5/8". But, in my memory it comes from the wye--not the intake--which is sized for the two different hoses. Here's a couple old pics during building phase. The wye (Y-pipe) is somewhat visible--you can see the two sizes. I remember modeling this from a concours car I saw at Greenwood, and it agreed with Osborn.

I'm gonna double check tomorrow for you; also, for my own assurance.
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3748.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

Mitch,

Remind me again what model year is your Bird?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Paul,

Thanks... '65' Landau...

I'm installing a Tri-Power manifold, it has a 3/8 NPT thread for the heater hose which seems like a leap to 3/4 barb? I'm going to get my heater/evaporator box out of storage and check the diameters of the pipes.

The Vac operated heater control valve measures for 1/2" hose, can I assume that it installs on the hose from the water pump? If the control valve is 1/2" hose then there must be some reducer or the "Y" might tend to that?

Thanks for your help...
Attachments
control_valve.jpg
IMG_4552.jpg
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Oh my Gravelman, that last pic is a thing of beauty!!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Nice restoration, Mitch.

So, This raises more questions than I expected. I've got no knowledge of the water routing for the TP intake and associated carbs. For comparison, the stock 4100s require a heater hose is snugged next to the choke and, routing (and pipe sizes) is changed depending on A/C car or heat-only. I'm gonna describe stock routing for 65MY w/AC.

Here's the Y-pipe. 3/4" coming from the top pipe of the core (water out), joined by 5/8" line (16mm) which is the line fastened to the side of the choke, both lines returning water to the water pump. This is the only 3/4" line. (the 5/8" line NOT connected to the Y is water from intake to water valve)
IMG_4181.JPG
The water valves today are not perfectly the same as the OEM. The one in your picture looks like mine. 5/8" in and 5/8" out--water into core through the lower pipe.
IMG_4183.JPG
This is the stock intake. Two 5/8" lines. One leading to the water valve, one leading to the choke. This is where you are on your own, as your 3/8" NPT opening is not the same as my intake. Honestly, I don't know the opening w/o taking things apart...I thought it was 1/2" NPT. Corrections and further help requested.
IMG_4182.JPG
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

I don't know why the second pic has to be upside down...not my fault. :redhotevil:
If you click to enlarge it, it's right side up. :roll:
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT