more power window issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

Re: more power window issues

Post by methos76 »

I haven't tried it yet but did notice a difference in my idle, ill keep looking for things not right. im sure I wont be disappointed. love the 60's t-birds well up to 66 after that didn't care for the body until the 70 model came out. had a 70 in the 80's loved it
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Another common area for vacuum leaks is the rear vents. The line runs along the tunnel to the back and then splits to the two motors for the vents. The vents are exposed to the sun coming in the rear window so the motors and lines often get very hot, cracking the lines and the diaphragms in the motors. The vacuum line tees off the one for the emergency brake so is a direct connection to the manifold. No vacuum reservoir or checkvalve. Any leak impacts engine performance.
Terry
64HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Terry64HT wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 pm Any leak impacts engine performance.
Terry
64HT
And can result in burnt valves :sad: :sad: :sad:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

out of curiosity how do you get to the rear vent vacuum lines, are they under the rear deck piece. im trying to make sure of no vacuum leaks
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

They run under the console, seat and up under the rear package tray (I think that's what they call the rear deck). I'm not sure but you may be able to pull one through the console. You'll have to remove the entire back seat and its backrest.
Oddly, my vacuum line is still soft and pliable so I haven't replaced it.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you I will check it out, I did notice that there is a hard plastic vacuum line very small in diameter broke off under the hood looks like it goes to a heat control valve in the one heater hose. am I correct as to where it goes it looks like it comes from behind the vacuum canister mounted on the firewall. if not where would it go
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

It sounds like that's the vacuum line that goes from the ventilation control below the radio through the firewall to the heat control valve that's mounted on the fender near the passenger side hinge. When the control calls for heat, the vacuum pulls a diaphragm in the unit in the heater water line.
Terry
64HT
methos76

Post by methos76 »

so I should hook it back up, someone cut it and plugged it maybe the valve is bad? thank you
paulr

Post by paulr »

Is this still a power window thread?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

sorry got carried away, I apologize
paulr

Post by paulr »

Apology not necessary. You have so many concurrent repairs going on, which I remember well on my Bird :roll: , for your future reference and searches you'll appreciate having your notes organized by topic.

About that severed firewall vac hose, it's undoubtedly part of your HVAC system, and could be one of two things. You might consider a thread just on heating and air con. It's a big and complex thing on A/C cars.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you and your right between doing body work and trying to fix everything along the way, not to mention I have an upper bearing to replace in the steering column. not looking forward to that :drinking:
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Your in luck, the upper bearing in there is easy once you get the steering wheel off.

Hats off to you for doing body work. I just have no talent for that kind of stuff!
methos76

Post by methos76 »

I haven't done any body work since around 79-80 and I wasn't any good at it back then. ive been taking my time trying to get it good enough for a decent paint job. besides I cant afford a body shop. lol thanks for the info on the upper bearing. when I get the body work done ill post pics of the area's before and after
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

RedBird64 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm Your in luck, the upper bearing in there is easy once you get the steering wheel off.
And taking the wheel off is easy, too!

~Steve