more power window issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

Re: more power window issues

Post by methos76 »

you say once I get the steering wheel off the upper bearing is no problem, do I need to remove the center shaft in order to replace the upper bearing. want to know so when it comes time to do it im ready, its on my list and by luck my list is getting shorter
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Been a while since I've done this task, but my photos from that day indicate that the bearing can be removed without taking out the steering shaft. In some cases, folks have reported stuck bearings, which might require a more disassembly.

Also, never discount the possibility that once you open things up, lots of new problems surface.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

sseebart wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Also, never discount the possibility that once you open things up, lots of new problems surface.

~Steve
Amen, that should be Rule 1 for every project on this car. And keep an open mind.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you and I am prepared I think, just finding things as I go. I have to get a better list though im jumping all around, but then with these cars I hear that's expected ( multiple issues ) I figure the car isn't going to be on the road till next year so I should have plenty of time. working around the weather right now, no garage bought an enclosure but its barely long enough for the car let alone try doing any work on it in there.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

Regarding the steering wheel upper bearing, if you have up and down/ side to side steering wheel movement it's most likely to be the plastic bearing insulator which has disintegrated. All that was left of mine was a pile of dust.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
paulr

Post by paulr »

David Langhorne wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:27 pm Regarding the steering wheel upper bearing, if you have up and down/ side to side steering wheel movement it's most likely to be the plastic bearing insulator which has disintegrated. All that was left of mine was a pile of dust.
That describes how mine was, too.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

that is how mine is, so your saying the bearing is good but the insulator is toast or might as well replace both since it will be apart
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

The bearing and bushing are less than $30 total, so it might be a good idea to get both at the same time.
Terry
64HT
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

David Langhorne wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:27 pm Regarding the steering wheel upper bearing, if you have up and down/ side to side steering wheel movement it's most likely to be the plastic bearing insulator which has disintegrated. All that was left of mine was a pile of dust.
You still had a pile of dust? Luxury!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

There wasn't any sign mine ever had one. I was surprised to see it on a parts list!

Might want to have a shift detent on hand as well and replace the gear indicator bulb while your in there. Also be prepared to find a notch worn in the shifter itself. If so, you'll want to get it welded up or procure a replacement shifter.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

I already bought a new shifter lever was going to order the detent and upper bearing at the same time also have a new shift indicator to install with the rest, haven't gotten a bulb, to tell you the truth I forgot all about it. also want see about getting am/fm radio working, its getting power but that's something im going to have to put on the list. the birdnest has been a great parts resource along with ebay
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I had my dead OEM AM/FM repaired at http://jcauto.com/our-services. It works now but the sound is worse than it ever was.
I should take it back or open it up myself and see if anything can be done. These things are full of aged out capacitors that cause all sorts of issues before outright failing.
I *think* they told me they can install all new internals (even bluetooth) so it would work like a enw stereo - so there's another option.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Is this still a power window thread?
time to start a new thread for the different repairs don't you think?
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
methos76

Post by methos76 »

yes