Power Window Issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

65levian

Power Window Issues

Post by 65levian »

Hello, just recently acquired a '65. None of the power windows go down and the previous owner told me it was something to do with the switches being dirty and plugged up. Don't know much about this yet, and haven't had time to jump into it so I figured I would post here and try to get some ideas on where to start with this issue.
Terry64HT

Re: Power Window Issues

Post by Terry64HT »

Pretty unlikely that all the switches got dirty and plugged up at the same time. There's a relay for the power to the windows (mounted on the firewall below the cowl drain on the passenger side on a 64, not sure about 65), check for power to it, and power out once the ignition is on.
That's probable the first step.
Terry
64HT
65levian

Post by 65levian »

Terry64HT wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am Pretty unlikely that all the switches got dirty and plugged up at the same time. There's a relay for the power to the windows (mounted on the firewall below the cowl drain on the passenger side on a 64, not sure about 65), check for power to it, and power out once the ignition is on.
That's probable the first step.
Terry
64HT
That's what I figured when he said it was that. Thank you, I'll check that out.
Chandler
tbird

Post by tbird »

Welcome to the forum and nice to see another 65 owner joining us.

The Safety relay is located in the center of the firewall on a 65 & 66 just below the lip and structural bracing. First thing to check would bre the relay when none of the windows work.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
methos76

Post by methos76 »

my 66 none on the windows were working except when they wanted to except passenger door never worked, the lower access panel on the passenger side of the dash was off I grabbed the wiring connectors and moved everything around and tapped on the relay on the firewall, don't really know which it was but now my back windows work and after tapping on drivers door motor now that window works have to replace motor in passenger door then all will be working. if the relay isn't the problem check out the harness under passenger side dash. have you tried jumping each window motor to see if they work
65levian

Post by 65levian »

I know I am months after the fact, but I got all the windows working now. Replaced the relay, switch panel, and the drivers side window motor. Thanks for tips!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks for the update!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
BlueBird65

Post by BlueBird65 »

Both rear power windows initially worked (slowly) after I purchased my 65 last spring. After some limited initial use, I left them up for a few weeks until I resolved an issue with the top. I tried lowering the rear windows early this month - both wouldn’t work, either from the console control panel or the rear switches. I never thought it could be the motors, b/c what are the chances BOTH would fail at the same time? It appears I was WRONG. I brought it to my mechanic who is VERY good on electrical issues. He got one to work (I think by helping to push it down, guess it was jammed), but not the other. He had me order 2 motors (figuring if we have to pull out the back seat, might as well do both). He’s very sure about his diagnosis. I got 2 rebuilt motors ($125 each), and he’s going to tackle it tomorrow (Aug 27). Hopefully, that will do the trick. I hope.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Check the window lockout switch
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I think they would still work from the console switches. My understanding is that the lockout switch only controls the switches on the rear side panels.
Terry
64HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

My rear windows were dead for 30+ years!
When I finally went through everything, I found that when the window seals at the belt line start leaking, they rain down directly into the tops of the motors. Mine were solid blocks of rust.

So if those rear window rubber parts are questionable at all, I would replace them .

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.