Smog pump removal while keeping AC

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

blue-pteyra

Smog pump removal while keeping AC

Post by blue-pteyra »

I have a 1966 390 AC car that has all the pieces of the smog/air injection pump intact and working.
I really do not like the way it looks and I hate working around it.
I want to remove the pump and related parts and replace the pump with an idler pulley to keep the AC belt on the car.
Is there a nonsmog idler pulley set up that is available?

Thank you
vince

Re: Smog pump removal while keeping AC

Post by vince »

Hope others can answer your question. Something to check are inspection requirements. In Missouri, an 'antique' licensed car does not need an inspection. If you license the car as a standard road car, it needs a safety inspection. Emission inspections are for '96 and newer cars with OBDII connectors. However, factory installed emission equipment must be installed (not necessarily working) to pass during the safety inspection. A car this old I can't imagine any one is checking. Usually the inspector is worried if a catalytic converter is missing. Check with a mechanic before dumping the stuff, I had to talk pretty quick after removing my broken pump from a '87 F250 with a 460 and it never did need an emissions inspection.

Hope you find the work around.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

In California, pre-1975 gas-powered cars are completely exempt from emissions inspections.
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

I thought that I would mention this in case you are not aware of it: The manifolds that return gases into the exhaust manifold from the pump have fittings that are threaded into the manifolds. These holes will need to be plugged if the smog setup is removed. Plugs were available from Ford many years ago when I removed the system from my ’66. I don’t know if they are still available, but if not maybe someone has a set??? Otherwise, maybe some properly threaded steel plugs might work.
stove

Post by stove »

Better be quick! Only a handful left lol https://www.rearcounter.com/C6AZ-6052-A ... 48874.html
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The heads on a smog motor are different than a normal head, with the after burner air injection being introduced into the exhaust runner, not the exhaust manifolds. I have one such head in my possession and the injection point has been simply plugged with a fine thread bolt of about 1/2 diameter or slightly larger, with the bolt head sticking up out of the casting. It was a cheap and quick way to plug the holes.
Not saying it is pretty, but it is functional.

A normally, non smog belt system, should work from any Bird, parts car. Just need to find it.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
blue-pteyra

Post by blue-pteyra »

Thanks for the responses.
What I did was take out the tubes at the exhaust manifolds and plugged the holes with 1/2 inch fine thread allen head set screws. You dont even notice them.

For the pulley i took the air pump apart and removed the "pump" vanes from the shaft. It is now a free spinning belt tensioner that has the appearance of an air pump. I will keep an eye out for the proper tensioner but for now it is great and I got the car on the road.

By the way......
If any of you get a chance to open up an air pump DO IT. It is like a mini supercharger/wankel set up. VERY COOL