65 wiring redo SOS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

BustedBirdy

65 wiring redo SOS

Post by BustedBirdy »

I have a 1965 TBird hardtop that always seems 95% done. The current issue is with the wiring. Most of it needs to be replaced, so the plan is to replace all of it while we have it pulled apart. I'm having trouble figuring out what harness to get, as nothing new seems to be made for the model. If anyone would be able to point me to the harness (or harnesses) that I would need to do this job, that would be amazing! Any advice in general would also be very helpful. Thanks!!!
paulr

Re: 65 wiring redo SOS

Post by paulr »

How much is “pulled apart“? If you’ve gutted the engine bay and the cab, including the dashboard, you’re mostly set. (Going through the trunk to taillights will involve minimal additional work.). Mostly, the dash and related instrument clusters is what you need open, or you’ll miss most of what matters.

An Osborn electrical assembly manual is cheap and has the best schematics to mate with your 65 shop manual.

New harnesses should only be sourced from replica manufacturers, like http://www.bauerelectronicsinc.com/our-classics.html. Nothing generic is going to serve this car, unless you’re aiming for the demolition circuit (hope not).

As for what to replace, hoo boy, only you know your car. Probably a lot of it. Got a multi-meter? Familiarize yourself with voltage requirements for various ops around the car—taillights, power windows, headlights, etc. Perform measurements and continuity tests to get a feel for the condition of your wires. Pull plugs apart and look for corrosion and broken connectors. Or, just buy all new harnesses and replace ($$$).

We can help with specific questions better than the entire general concept. I’d advise to keep your schematics in the car and start at the front, work toward the back. It’s a big job but you’re smart to do it, and smarter to do it when the car’s pulled apart, as you say. Keep us posted.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
BustedBirdy

Post by BustedBirdy »

Thanks! I'll check it out and let you know how it works out!
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

I probably replaced all the harness that you need to be replacing. All under dash and all under the hood. We sent the old harness to Narragansett Reproductions (wish they would get a different name, to hard to spell.) They came back as they would have been in 1964 everything is exactly as it would have been the day it came out of the factory

hosie24

Post by hosie24 »

Hello ,

How many wiring harness were there and if i can ask what did it cost you to rewire ?? Thinking about rewiring as im already rebuilding the engine

thanks for any help

1966 Thunderbird Landau

David Hosie
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

paulr wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 pm New harnesses should only be sourced from replica manufacturers, like http://www.bauerelectronicsinc.com/our-classics.html. Nothing generic is going to serve this car, unless you’re aiming for the demolition circuit (hope not).
I rewired an old F-100 using a generic kit, which meant that I had to splice a lot of wires on to the Ford-specific connectors. The Thunderbird is far more complex, but when you price replica manufacturers, you may find that the cost of new harnesses exceeds the value of your car.

There is a middle ground with generic kits (no demolition derby required!). These are generally build-your-own kits, so you'll be cutting, soldering and wrapping the harness yourself. It seems to me that the more you spend, the better the instructions and support will be. I went with the low-end on my truck and had to work out all the issues on my own. (They never answered their phone or email.) On the plus side, you'll save thousands of dollars, have (mostly) new wires and a spiffy new blade-type fuse box. I did my truck in about a week, working in the afternoons. The Thunderbird would take at least two, not including tear-down time.

~Steve
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Some wire harnesses see a lot of heat and probably must be replaced with new, unless you find a particularly pristine parts car. I did find a low mileage '66 that someone had left parked outside in a field in Michigan for 20 years. The body was completely rusted out below the belt line, but the seats, dash and wiring were all in really good shape.

If you are on a budget, my suggestion would be to get as many good used harnesses you can. You will need to match the model year and the body style, as well as the main options: A/C, power windows, safety convenience panel, speed control, radio (especially if you have the tape deck)

For some reason the hacks always took power from the ignition switch area, so it is common to find these hacked up. NPD and other places sell new connectors with a pigtail so you can splice it in and make a good reliable repair.

If you can make 2-3 good repairs on a wire harness and salvage it, then I'd use it. If it is severely hacked up, or if all the insulation is burned off, or the wires are brittle, then I'd replace it. I replaced all the under hood harnesses, and then I repaired the rest in my car. I probably spent about $600
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Hi: Sorry I did not see your question. There are 4 harness and the cost was about $2000.00