Beltline weatherstrip outer.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

Beltline weatherstrip outer.

Post by Rt.146 »

The belt-line weather strip that runs along the outside of the side window, has anyone noticed a thin rubber strip that covers the gap (very small) between the door and the weatherstrip, I just received new belt-line for the inside and outside of the side windows, not having removed the drivers side belt-line I noticed this small strip attached to the belt-line which covers the gap, the new product does not have it, one would need to fill the gap with a sealant may work but not ideal as having the strip of rubber attached to the belt-line. Would anyone know where to purchase the period correct outer belt-line?
paulr

Re: Beltline weatherstrip outer.

Post by paulr »

That outer strip must absolutely include the embedded rubber strip to channel water (road dust, flies, etc.) from dropping straight inside the door. First thing, get your money back from whoever sold that. Second thing, check with Bird Nest (unless they sold you the one you have). I bought a full set from them and each piece was manufactured as original. It was a few years go--hopefully, still true.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Thanks for your reply, I did some more research on the outer belt-line, the one company that I found that sells the outer belt-line with the strip is Steele Rubber, I will send the ones I have back.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Who did you buy the ones you have from?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I believe all the Thunderbird vendors offer the same product, no strip and additionally no outer felt, knowing what I know now I would call the vendors and ask how they are made. It seems there is a policy of Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) with some of these replacement products.