Brake light problem.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

bwssr

Brake light problem.

Post by bwssr »

Found out I only have one brake light working. The middle one on the right side. I know the relay is working. The tail lights and blinkers all work fine. Took apart the turn signal relay made sure the everything was attached then cleaned all the contact with some electrical spray. Cleaned all connectors too. Anyone have any other ideas. Bulbs are all new . This is a 66 Thunderbird without the quarter window.
I was in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis in November 1973. I bought my 65 Thunderbird near there and was hooked on Thunderbirds ever since.
sseebart

Re: Brake light problem.

Post by sseebart »

I have a 64, so my system is vastly different from yours (no sequential signals). With that caveat, when this happened on my car, it was a broken wire in the turn signal switch. A little digging into the column would help to confirm (or not) if the same is true for you.

~Steve
20170731_092902.jpg
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

The brake switch on the steering column is working as it is sending electricity to the brake relay and the relay is working.
I was in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis in November 1973. I bought my 65 Thunderbird near there and was hooked on Thunderbirds ever since.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

bwssr wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 pm The brake switch on the steering column is working as it is sending electricity to the brake relay and the relay is working.
Whoops, missed the fact that it was just the one bulb on one side. Do you still have the original, mechanical turn signal sequencer in the trunk? If so, I'd suggest it as your next stop on the trail.

~Steve
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

Yes I have the original equipment on it. I have replaced some parts. It's funny how everything else is working fine but the brake lights. I would like to go to the newer electronic box that does not have motors.
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

I am pretty sure I have found the problem. In the turn signal relay there are 2 groups of contact. The default position is up. This what the coils are not energized leaving the contacts in an up position and also the position where juice flows to the brake lights. I cleaned those contacts and the lights are working now. There are 2 coils. When the turn signal is turned on left or right that sends juice to one of the coils depending on which way you are turning. The contacts are then in a down position to send juice from the mechanical turn signal /flasher motor box thru the turn signal relay box and then to the tail lights .
paulr

Post by paulr »

Another analog detective thinks out the problem. Good work.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

Basically it was just a matter of cleaning the contacts and plugs. Once you figure out how it works it makes it easier to fix.