a/c condenser

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dagelh

a/c condenser

Post by dagelh »

Can anyone tell me where I might find a new a/c condenser for a 1964 T-bird? Classic Aire doesn't
have them anymore.
1964 Chantilly Beige 2 dr Htp
VTCI Member #11986
paulr

Re: a/c condenser

Post by paulr »

dagelh wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:18 pm Can anyone tell me where I might find a new a/c condenser for a 1964 T-bird? Classic Aire doesn't
have them anymore.
What is the issue with your existing condenser?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Call Originalair.com and see if they can help. I don't see the condenser in their catalog, but when I talked to them last year they said they had "everything". If you have a leak, a radiator shop might be able to repair it, depending on the condition.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
dagelh

Post by dagelh »

My original condenser looks good on the outside but could still have leaks. A/C has never worked
since I bought the car nine years ago. I bought a Sanden compressor conversion kit recently and
I'm in the process of changing the entire system over to R134a from R12a. I thought it would be good
to replace the a/c condenser as a part of the conversion.
VTCI Member #11986
paulr

Post by paulr »

Condensers, new or used, can be very hard to source. If yours looks good, chances are strong it is good. Like above, take it to a radiator shop for a pressure test. Leaks are uncommon. Unlike a radiator it doesn’t have to be recored. Cosmetic restoration can be done. There’s even a fin comb if some straightening is needed.

A new dryer is what you absolutely need. Don’t take the caps off the ends before final installation; it’s vacuum sealed to keep dry.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
dagelh

Post by dagelh »

Found a new condenser on E-Bay. Many thanks to those who responded. Also Classic Aire and Original Aire appear to be
the same company.
VTCI Member #11986