Raybirds 64 HT Project.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Raybird

Raybirds 64 HT Project.

Post by Raybird »

Hi Everyone.

I presented myself back in Dec 17 after purchasing a 1964 Hard Top. Since I was not near the car for the winter I could not start working on it until a month ago. I came to this forum for info to better prepare for this project and I must tell you that I have learned a lot regarding the 64 by doing some searches and reading the almost daily topics and responses from posters so thanks for all the info and the offer to help if needed. Much appreciated!

First thing I started working on were the brakes. Pedal went to the floor. Rear passenger wheel locked. Turned out to be the wheel cylinder which leaked and glued the drum and shoe together. Car had not moved from it's garage for 9 years. Ended up changing both wheel cylinders in the rear as well as the brake lines and the shoes. Car now roles and brakes. Front brakes were adjusted and I will be tearing into those soon.

Next was to start her up. After changing the completely dead battery with a new one, it took quite a few cranks to get the gas to the carb. It sputtered on and off by feeding gas directly into the carb and finally started but would not idle very well. Got so exited that i took it down the country road about 1/2 a mile and came back. Still would not idle but could keep it running by pumping it a bit. Ordered a carb rebuild kit and will strip it down shortly.

Sorry for the long of it but wanted to share my experience with this car. Will add more as I go along and I am sure that I will have questions along the way. Thanks. R.
cacockrum

Re: Raybirds 64 HT Project.

Post by cacockrum »

Welcome to the Forum.
I joined the Forum about 3 years ago hoping that it would be a good resource for the ’66 convertible restoration that I was about to undertake. Like you, I started by reading the many posts covering just about everything --- from tires and wheels to the convertible top and everything in between. Since then I have been even more impressed by the help that I have received with questions that I would post. I’m certain that you will have the same great experience as there are many members who take their time and share their knowledge to help fellow members and do what they can to keep these old Birds on the road.
Good luck and we look forward to watching your progress,
Art
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

Thanks Art.
Like you say, Lots of Knowledge and helpfulness. Great Forum.
I tried to post pic's but they end up upside down. Will post some as soon as I figure out what I am doing wrong!

Regards Ray
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Nice to hear that another 'Bird is (almost) back on the road!

The carb rebuild kit is an absolute must--money well spent. The poor idle condition sounds like a vacuum leak to me--something the carb rebuild may or may not fix. Check or pinch off the vacuum lines before you start it up next to see if the condition improves.

Also, if you're working with a vintage Autolite carb, check the clearance and play in the throttle butterfly shafts (the shafts that rotate when the throttle is opened/closed). These wear over time causing vacuum leaks, and the typical rebuild kits don't address them.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

Welcome Ray. Sounds like you'll be busy! We'd like to offer encouragement and help if you find yourself stuck. Hope you know you got the best of the 3-year set; 64s rule. We'll be around.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

Steve.
Thanks for the advice. I have already checked for possible vacuum leak and looks like the carb may just be gunked up and needs a good cleaning and kit. I will certainly look at the throttle shaft clearances. As you say every little bit counts. By the way. Loved your write up and pics. Nice car. Started reading one part and couldn't stop until I read it all. Learned a lot.

Paul.
Thanks for the kind encouragement and offer to help. Much appreciated.
Ray
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

The other day after a rain I noticed that some water was dripping through the windshield upper seal which looks cracked and shrunk, probably from years of exposure to the sun and age. Decided to remove the carpets both sides and found that the jute material under the carpet was damp. After getting the area cleaned up. The floor showed some surface rust but no scaling and the floor is still very strong with no weak areas. I cleaned it up as best I could. Then i used some rust neutralizer and once dry I coated it with spray for truck beds. Attached are some before and after picks. I guess a new windshield seal will be another future project.
Attachments
20180730_111448.jpg
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

I guess the other 3 pic's which showed in the preview did not make it and still cannot figure out why the pic's do not load right side up!!
20180730_111420.jpg
20180727_135323.jpg
20180727_135302.jpg
Raybird

Post by Raybird »

Another update.

Steve, I must apologize, after working on some of the vacuum hoses. Started up the car and now it is idling, Not perfect but ok. So I must have still had some leak as you mentioned, so thanks.

Worked on drivers side air vent cable. The plastic hold down was broken on one side and notice that the way it was routed was not the best as it made a sharp turn around the parking brake which made it stiff and hard for the cable to slide. Once unhooked and pulled out the cable was a lot easier to move. Repaired the broken end and rerouted it with less kinks and now cable moves just like new.
Removed the clock which hadn't run in who knows how long. Looked pretty good inside with just very slight film of dust. Cleaned it then lubricated and it stated ticking again. Cleaned the points and will reinstall and see if it is now working as it should.

Happy with the progress so far.