65 Thunderbird-engine cranks when key is in run position

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sseebart

Re: 65 Thunderbird-engine cranks when key is in run position

Post by sseebart »

zappafan wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:11 pm I was just checking the shifter and it clicks into each gear. But with park I find that I can push the lever past the park mark by a bit.
A little play past Park is normal for these cars. On my car, the feel of the shifter clicking into gear comes from the transmission detents, not the shifter. If the car holds fine in park (meaning you can't just drop the shifter right into reverse), I'd start with the NSS.

~Steve
zappafan

Post by zappafan »

You have to pull it out of park to put it into the different gears. It stays in place fine. I'm sure that I will do what I can to take any extra slop out of the steering wheel. It's an old car and I doubt that any of the previous owners did anything to firm it up. The next time I'm working on the car I'll see if I can remove the nss and see what's up with it. The T-Bird is just one of a few projects that I'm working on, so it may take a number of days before I post my findings.
I really do appreciate the input from everybody. This is a great forum, with a ton of info in it.
paulr

Post by paulr »

zappafan wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 pm The next time I'm working on the car I'll see if I can remove the nss and see what's up with it. The T-Bird is just one of a few projects that I'm working on, so it may take a number of days before I post my findings.
When you do, I suggest not removing the switch; I doubt it has any problems other than adjustment. Hard on the back and neck, anyway, you're feeling around with your fingers and not seeing up there, the two screws drop about 20 times... :roll:

Loosen the two screws which allow you to gently slide the switch along the curve of the column (micro-moves) until your key finds the place to fire in both P & N. Tighten screws well, and never go back. This has worked for me on two cars. The printed method in the manual has only yielded cursing and a generally ugly attitude. JMHO. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
zappafan

Post by zappafan »

I appreciate that piece of advice. Not a big fan of taking things apart where I can't see what I'm doing. Even worse trying to reassemble things blind.
Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to mess around with it. I've got two batteries on charge, so this time I won't run out of cranking power.
Might throw the Holley on for good measure as well.
Mrfixitup

Post by Mrfixitup »

Well, did you ever figure out problem???