64 passenger window motor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

PapaBird

64 passenger window motor

Post by PapaBird »

Looking for some help on this. I scanned previous threads but still could not find the motor found in my door. motor worked till this year and now will not go down or up, checked all electrical to it and all is fine so only item left is the mystery part. If anyone can help me identify this it would be great.
Attachments
0620181333.jpg
RAVEN

Re: 64 passenger window motor

Post by RAVEN »

Welcome to the Forum
First off, the photo looks like a 65 or later motor. A 64 motor had a flex drive coupling at the output shaft of the motor, right at the motor endbell.
Secondly, you say motor is dead. Is the window fully up or down allowing a binding situation and it is stalled and a locked rotor situation is happening?
I would assume you hot wired the motor to see if it moves or hums.
You may be forced to remove the regulator assembly and test the motor out of the car, when you do, you may find a motor part number printed on it
If the motor runs, then the gear drive may have failed, and you would still be removing the regulator assembly to fix it.
BE CAUTIOUS with the assist spring when you disconnect the motor drive, if you pull the unit apart.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

First thanks for the reply. The window is fully up and I did hot wire the motor. I guess the next part is to fully get this out of the car and rip everything apart.
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

If it’s broke, why not fix it all the way? Take the motor and regulator out of the door, clean out all of the old, dried grease (someone actually liberally greased the spring in mine), lube the gear and rollers with new grease and the guides with some DuPont silicone/Teflon spray. As long as the motor works you’ll be so happy with how much better it performs you’ll want to do the other side, too.

There are other threads with the details on how to do it and are worth searching for. The other big help when I did mine was to make one of the power units out of a computer power supply and add an up/down switch to it so I could run the motor both ways without having to swap the + wire around each time. There are details on how to build one in the TBird tech forum.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

So had a fun day taking the regulator out of the door. Once all was out and looking at the motor the damn think looked brand new, so I was baffled at why it was not working. Anyway got two screws out of the regulator and could not get the motor to budge at all to get to the third screw. Bright idea was to unbolt the end of the motor and drop the innards out to release the pressure on the regulator. Well this was a good and bad idea. On the good side I found out the the motor was seized up by a lot of corrosion and rust. The bad the regulator released sending some pieces flying and the spring half way across the garage.

Next step dropping motor off with a friend at a local machine shop to see if he can rebuild it or if I need to go on the hunt for a new one. Should also start searching the threads to make sure the spring is lined up correctly when I go and put back together.

pic of the bird below
papabird.jpg