Stearing column dust cover

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Richard

Re: Stearing column dust cover

Post by Richard »

Yes Paul that's the same part I have ordered...Thanks again...
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Remove the inner fender shield from the wheel well and it's a lot easier to get to the bottom of the steering column. I posted earlier with the details to remove, but it's pretty obvious once you have the wheel off.
Terry
64HT
Richard

Post by Richard »

"Look through all the pages of your '65 manual. My '64 manual has 3 separate graphics of the shift column, exploded, emphasizing different aspects on different pages. Maybe our books are not the same. Mine does, however, show that the cone sits at the bottom; bushing rides above it on the shaft"

Hi Paul,
I have 2 shop manuals. I was looking at the better condition one and yes now I see the bushing and cone in picture. Got the part the other day but wont be able to install till next week,I will keep you posted..Thanks again
VTCI#12157
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good news. The bushing is still intact. I didn't even remove fender shield. I was able to poke at it from above with a stiff wire. The tang from bushing is still there and can feel the bushing up in there too.. I bought the part but only $10..The Long Island NY Tbird Club show is next week and will try to give it to a member who might need it..

Long story long..I could not see in there well without pulling car out of garage. I pull car in head first and drivers side is close to garage wall. I do it that way for a few reasons. My driveway is at a 20% incline so easier to pull in head first. Also my garage is attached and the exhaust exists through overhead garage door instead of single door on other side. And yes I have to jump over center console to get in and out. Not to bad now at 60 years old but should be fun as I get older.. :sad:
VTCI#12157
paulr

Post by paulr »

Good detective work, Richard. When that bushing goes, you'll know; it does a big job. Steering will become uncertain in a way that is hard to define and inconsistent.

About the "cone". Your original post called it a dust cover. Ford calls it a centering cone. I think you're right and Ford's wrong. As far as centering goes, it doesn't do squat. Flimsy, cheap, and just floats around. But it does help keep crap out of the shift tube that would otherwise break down the soft rubber bushing leading to its failure. From now on I'm calling mine a dust cover, too.

Btw, yoga will keep you limber enough to leap in and out of the 'Bird for a long time to come.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks but I cant take credit for the term dust cover. I read that in some ones post when I did a forum search..
I just retired so I will have to do something to keep in shape..Yoga :idea:
VTCI#12157