rebuild Autolite 4100, new Edelbrock 1406 or EFI

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jimfox13

rebuild Autolite 4100, new Edelbrock 1406 or EFI

Post by jimfox13 »

my 65 (daily driver) is having some carburetor issues - specifically the choke is not working. I've fiddled with it, but I'm not skilled enough to fix it and/or rebuild it myself. So, my options are to have the Autolite I have rebuilt, replace it with a new Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke, or convert to EFI. I'd love to convert to EFI, but I think that is going to be way out of my price range. Any suggestions, experience, or opinions would be appreciated.
stubbie

Re: rebuild Autolite 4100, new Edelbrock 1406 or EFI

Post by stubbie »

EFI will probably be around $1400 minimum. You can read something about it here on this thread.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/ ... ic=3815.45
I think if your on a budget I would go with the relatively no fuss Edelbrock 1406. Should work straight out of the box.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I overhauled the original-to-my-61 ‘Bird Autolite 4100 myself with the help of parts and videos from Mike’s Carburetors. It actually required 3 full and partial overhauls as I learned about having to clean out all the tiny passages with thin wire and to flatten several warped surfaces to eliminate vacuum leaks. I managed to get the automatic choke working but since I converted my car to exhaust headers and therefore didn’t have a good source of heat for the choke it really didn’t work correctly, so I replaced it with an electric choke from Champion Carburetors. It was a long process but very educational. I had the time (retired) and interest. Ed of Ed’s Carburetor Forum (now moved to Tapatalk) swears by the old 4100’s. He was very helpful to me in getting my carburetor ship-shape. If you’re not up to it yourself, you might convince Ed to give it a go for you. Don’t let anyone convince you that just “putting in a kit” will do. My opinion.
I hear the Edelbrock works pretty well out of the box but you should understand there will be some fuel plumbing mods to make and possibly some linkage changes, too. Also, understand that the Edelbrock has an electric choke. You will need to provide 12 volt power to the choke whenever the ignition is On.
Good luck, whichever way you choose.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Bill pretty well hit it spot on as far as I'm concerned.
However, after doing 2 rebuilds myself on my 4100, I gave up and sent it to Pony Carbs who, at that time, were considered the best around (before they were sold). They sent me back another carb that had been rebuilt so many times there were pits in the metal. It worked ok, but not great (these carb bodies have been around a long time and most rebuilt several times).
I bought an Edelbrock 1406, bolted it on and it's been ideal for about 14 years. As Bill said, you need to modify the linkage (no big deal) and set up the electric choke. Make sure you have 12 volts switched and constant (don't take it from the stock coil), and put a fuse in the line. The fuel line has to be extended (or replaced) and you might find a banjo fitting on the carb makes it easier. I closed off the vacuum port on the spacer and used the one on the carb base. You need to keep the spacer or a substitute. Don't mount the carb right on the manifold. If you want to keep the stock air cleaner, you can cut a circle in the hood insulation, paint it black and it's barely noticeable.
While the 4100 is a good carb, it is a 1950's design and the engineering in newer ones such as the Edelbrock is a lot better.
Just my thoughts
Terry
64HT
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I've had an Edelbrock 1406 on my car for as long as I've owned it, and I have found it temperamental at best. If your 4100 is in otherwise good shape, I'd get it rebuilt. As long as the bushings for the throttle butterfly rods are not leaking air, you can keep the car stock and performing as intended. (If they are, it might even be worth having a machine shop sleeve them for you.)

In addition to the throttle linkage modifications, I'm pretty sure your original air cleaner is not going to work with the Edelbrock, either.

The documentation with the Edelbrock will tell you that this is not a bolt on operation. You'll need to adjust the floats properly and then decide whether or not to ignore their recommendations for dialing in jets, metering rod springs and the like. Chances are the new carb will mean adjustments to your basing ignition timing as well.

If you decide to go with the Edelbrock, PM me--I'll take your 4100 off your hands.

~Steve
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

I sent my 4100 to Dynamic Industries in Texas, I am 100% happy with the result, it came back looking like a new carb, it performs perfectly and I get over 17mpg (Imperial gallons so nearer to 14mpg US) and loaded with three passengers and a heap of baggage.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
jimfox13

Post by jimfox13 »

Thanks for the input! I've decided to have the 4100 rebuilt and have an electric choke added by a local Seattle shop specializing in carbs. Hopefully, I'll remember to come back in a couple months and update with my impression of the carb.
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

Good choice to rebuild the 4100. I had my 4100 carb rebuilt by a local pro 5 years ago and have not had any problems since. His comment and opinion when I took it to him was he wished he had more of them to rebuild as they are the optimum for the these 390 engines.

Good luck!
Randy
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)