1966 Assembly Manual by Jim Osborn

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

1966 Assembly Manual by Jim Osborn

Post by Rt.146 »

Anemic or lacking in the manual on the routing and sizes of the vacuum hoses, the vacuums hoses and connections are a not minor issue in these Bird's, a somewhat more explanatory section with diagrams on them, at least for myself would have been appreciated.
paulr

Re: 1966 Assembly Manual by Jim Osborn

Post by paulr »

http://www.parts123.com/birdnest/pdf/VacuumDiagrams.pdf

The three hose sizes listed here have worked well for me since I replaced everything a few years ago. Keep in mind, today's OD's are not the same as the OEM hoses but, the ID's should matter. I don't have a '66 Osborn manual but, I found my '64 manual to be partly helpful with the routing. The diagram linked above really helped, and comparisons with cars seen in local clubs and shows--you do some detective work and you get your plan made, it'll come together. Good luck with the project.

Glad to help if you have a specific question...
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Thanks for your response, I do have what you posted and more from other sources, I will have to look at them once again to see the problem I'm making for myself.
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

I may be able to help with specific questions. I just replaced every vacuum hose in my ‘65 and took a ton of photos while I was at it. In the end, I found that the easiest way was to buy a roll of each of the 3 sizes of tubing and replace each one, one at a time, and follow the original path. I used colored electrical tape to code the hoses according to their original colors as seen on the original hose and depicted in the assembly manual and maintenance manual.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
paulr

Post by paulr »

SBurney wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 pm I found that the easiest way was to buy a roll of each of the 3 sizes of tubing and replace each one, one at a time, and follow the original path. I used colored electrical tape to code the hoses according to their original colors as seen on the original hose and depicted in the assembly manual and maintenance manual.
We think alike. It's a good method and it leaves you feeling secure over time given all the work you put into it.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson