Both side blinking front

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Mike66

Both side blinking front

Post by Mike66 »

I have a weird turn signal problem - when activating the turn signal both sides up front blinks. The rear works fine

When I disconnect one of the sides at the plug in the engine bay, it blinks fine on the other side but as soon as both are connected, they both blink.

I have checked the fender signal wiring and they are grounded OK. When measuring the voltage at the plug, it gets 8-10 volts when flashing..

I guess it misses something somwehere, but I cannot figure out where :(
redstangbob

Re: Both side blinking front

Post by redstangbob »

the front turn lites or the fender indicators? this is on a 66 right?
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Mike66

Post by Mike66 »

Yeah, the indikators. All 4 front turnsignals light up nomatter if i turn left or right.

I tried measure the voltage at the dash related turn signal and it has 12 volt in the no. 3 slot (closest to firewall) but only 10 volt at the other.. could it be a bad relay? They flash perfectly .. just flashes all 4 In front :(
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

As long as you've checked all wiring up front, I suspect the turn switch in the column. You should be able to test it at the connector near the column boot. good luck, Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Mike66

Post by Mike66 »

I will try that. I have an ohm meter tester but not sure what the best way to test connections. I am pretty sure i have alot of ground issue - how do you test the connections best?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I'd undo the connector at the bottom of the column, and test the switch (top) half of the connector. Use the ohmmeter to test between the brown and the red wire, also the brown and yellow wire. You should have continuity between brown and (x) but not the other wire. Check this with the switch in both positions. As a second thought, check to see if the fender lights have been spliced into the front turn lights. That was a quick fix for indicators that wouldn't flash. good luck, Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Mike66

Post by Mike66 »

Ok, thanks. And yes, both indikators are spliced into the turn signals with aftermarket clamps. Is this a problem that I need to fix ? I bought the car last summer and likely need to start over with many things..
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

both indikators are spliced into the turn signals with aftermarket clamps
That changes things, the indicators are supposed to be separated from the rest of the system. Make the test anyway, but I think the problem would more than likely in the turn relay (in the trunk). Not the end of the world, just more work.

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Mike66 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:29 pm Ok, thanks. And yes, both indikators are spliced into the turn signals with aftermarket clamps. Is this a problem that I need to fix ? I bought the car last summer and likely need to start over with many things..
If the problem just started, suddenly, then the wiring hack at the column is probably not to blame. (I have a 64, but agree that the issue would probably be with the sequential unit is in the trunk.)

If the signal lights have been wonky like this since you had the car, then it might be the splices. No one would do that just for fun, though, it's possible you've got an aftermarket (wrong application) turn signal switch that didn't include leads for the fender indicators.

~Steve
Mike66

Post by Mike66 »

So, In the trunk there are 2 relays on each side of the pump - what am I looking for that makes all 4 blink up front? The rear works fine (although the motors are running but the sequential seems disabled)
paulr

Post by paulr »

Mike66 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:03 pm what am I looking for?
A schematic.

You stated that there were alot of ground issues; you also said you probably need to start over with a lot of things. Since the last owner already rigged the front indicators to shortcut some failure, there's a chance some other issues were shortcut as well. Look at the schematic with your multi-meter in hand and test continuity between every set of terminals. Find the hacks.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson