Instrument wiring

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

SBurney

Instrument wiring

Post by SBurney »

I’m reassembling my dash and want to make sure it’s right before I put the dash back in the car. My question is: on the gauges, does it matter which terminal the constant voltage wire (black-green) is on? I’m having a hard time making it out on the wiring diagram, both in the schematic view and the illustration. In the illustration the only one that is clear is the temp gauge where it shows the black-green on the left, but when I took the wires off I marked that one as being on the right.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
RedBird64

Re: Instrument wiring

Post by RedBird64 »

If it's one of the original style parts then it probably doesn't matter. If it's a new electronic type then it does.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

I thought that might be the case, but I don’t know enough about how they work to be sure.

I’d like to test the gauges before I put the dash back in the car. Any advice on how to do that? I have a 12v power supply that I can hook up to the cvr, but what would I hook to the other side of each gauge to test them? Also, how would I test the amp gauge?
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
VTCI #12702
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

SBurney wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm I thought that might be the case, but I don’t know enough about how they work to be sure.

I’d like to test the gauges before I put the dash back in the car. Any advice on how to do that? I have a 12v power supply that I can hook up to the cvr, but what would I hook to the other side of each gauge to test them? Also, how would I test the amp gauge?
I found that having something like this is invaluable:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9406&p=92404

Scroll down the thread a bit and you'll see a couple of photos of my rig used to test a variety of gauges.

~Steve
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

Thank you, Steve. I have made that power supply, so I’ll try the gauges at 3.3v.
Steve Burney
VTCI #12702