A Pillar cover removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Gordie9

A Pillar cover removal

Post by Gordie9 »

I need to replace the windshield on my 66' Town landau and I'm looking to remove the outside A pillar stainless trim. It looks to me that the drip rails overlap the A pillar trim pieces??? Can the A Pillar trim be removed without taking off the drip rails??? I hope they can because it looks like the drip rails are riveted on and I don't want to have to drill out the rivets. Is a special tool required to remove the A pillar trim??? Thanks,
RedBird64

Re: A Pillar cover removal

Post by RedBird64 »

Someone usually whines if I do this but if it's anything like the 64/65, no, the drip rail does not get removed. Only the trim around the window needs to come off.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Gordie9

Post by Gordie9 »

Thanks,....looking through the Body and Service manuals, it looks to me that the inside "A" pillar moulding needs to be removed to get at the screws holding the outside, stainless moulding in place??? Before I start removing the interior mouldinds, can anyone confirm that???
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Gordie9 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:46 pm Thanks,....looking through the Body and Service manuals, it looks to me that the inside "A" pillar moulding needs to be removed to get at the screws holding the outside, stainless moulding in place??? Before I start removing the interior mouldinds, can anyone confirm that???
Going off memory here, but I believe the installers had to remove the interior trim on mine. In fact, now that I think about it more, one of them let the bit on his power screwdriver skitter across the aluminum. Ug.

~Steve
Gordie9

Post by Gordie9 »

I tackled the A pillar mouldings last night and found that you do not need to remove the interior mouldings to remove the exterior mouldings. I think the vinyl top on my car was replaced by the previous owner and when the drip rails were reattached, rivets were used instead of screws. The drip rails covered the three screws holding the exterior mouldings. Once the rivets were removed and the drip rail that runs along the A pillar was moved, the three screws were exposed and the mouldings removed. All is well!