Questions On Grease and Rear end Lube

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rollsman44

Questions On Grease and Rear end Lube

Post by rollsman44 »

I have a 65 Landau coupe. I want to do the following but not sure exactly if my mechanic can do it.
Years ago we would do as part of maintenance the following: Grease the wheel bearing and ??? not sure the bushings and check the rear end to see if there was enough grease there. Is this still part of the maintenance today and if so is there a list of item s to lube anywhere and what weight lube for the rear end. Thank you Also, as far as oil and filter changes: 10W40 with Zinc is what i read is recommended. I live in de. and use the car only weekends and Not in bad weather so is this the correct viscosity oil to use? Not a Daily driver. Any other suggestions for maintenance? Thank you

I am looking for places to buy the oil that I need, Some places only have 10W 30 with Zinc and NOT 10W 40.
sseebart

Re: Questions On Grease and Rear end Lube

Post by sseebart »

Yes, greasing the wheel bearing periodically is recommended, though for a car driving infrequently, I don't suspect you'd need to make it an annual event. In the front end, grease anything with a zerk on it. I haven't looked specifically, but I suspect the manual will have a list of grease points, suggestions on the type of grease to use and frequency. I don't have a replica owner's manual, but I suspect it also has a maintenance schedule in it as well.

In DE, I don't see how 10W-30 (+zinc) would be an issue, especially for a parade car. There are lots of opinions on oil out there, though.

~Steve
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The front wheel bearings can be cleaned and packed with grease, but I think the rear wheel bearings are sealed and pressed on to the axle shafts. They are "permanently lubricated" and can only be replaced.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
rollsman44

Post by rollsman44 »

Great Thank you. My other concern is the rear end . Need to make sure it has enough grease in there,
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The rear end centre sections take an OIL lube. Most common viscosities that I have had exposure to is the 80W-90 and 85W-140 Hypoid Gear lubes.
These were meant for open style (non posi) rear ends.
If you have a locking rear end, you will need a correct lube for the clutches.

The rear outer axle shaft bearings are sealed units, and are not able to be lubed. The rear axle bearings are outboard of the rearend seal, so no lube from the centre section can get to them.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible