My 65 leaks oil and tranny fluid after sitting for 1 plus years

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Bigragu

My 65 leaks oil and tranny fluid after sitting for 1 plus years

Post by Bigragu »

My engine and transmission they are both rebuilt not even 1,500 miles on them the car sat for over a year and a half I started it up and now it leaks oil and transmission fluid I tighten all the valve covers irie Titan the oil pan and I retighten the transmission pan bolts and it still leaks any recommendations thank you
paulr

Re: My 65 leaks oil and tranny fluid after sitting for 1 plus years

Post by paulr »

As per the valve covers, I would avoid any more tightening. It could potentially make oil leaks much worse. Begin by cleaning the engine instead and pinpointing the location of the leak and work there.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Are you sure the transmission fluid is coming from the transmission, not the power steering system? Most of us, I think, expect a little oil leakage from the engine, but a professionally rebuilt tranny should stay sealed--I'd have a talk with the rebuilder about it.

~Steve
methos76

Post by methos76 »

they make a product for oil and tranny, blue devil makes it I believe and I can tell you the oil treatment worked my 99 expedition rear main seal leaked bad especially going up hills, I put that stuff in the oil and followed the directions and a year later still no leaks so I know it works for rear main seal at least. and its a one time use don't have to repeat at oil changes. hope this helps
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Your transmission could be leaking from the selector shaft seals. What happens is, when your car is running frequently the oil stays at the top of the transmission when it sits idle for long periods the oil from the top of transmission leaks down into the pan and is higher than the seals so it forces it's way out. You can replace the seals it's not difficult.