Transmission cooling lines

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Gordie9

Re: Transmission cooling lines

Post by Gordie9 »

So,...It sounds like we are landing on the trans outlet line should go to the upper port on the radiator and the lower radiator port goes to the rear (return) line on the transmission??? If so,...I'll need to crawl under the car and switch the lines for the third time. Or,..does it make any significant difference??
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Sounds like fun eh Gordie, that is a very annoying task, easy but takes a long time due to limited space and messy!

Wish I knew if it makes much of a difference, I do have a temp gauge on the outlet line and it reaches 220+ degrees - what it has been cooled to on the exit line is a mystery. I would be doing it myself as you don't want to cook the transmission just to save an hour of messing around.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

An inexpensive infrared temperature sensor would prove useful here. Point it at the lines entering and leaving the trans cooler to see their approximate temperature before and after moving the lines. In my case (1961design), because the fluid exited the radiator near the hottest part of the radiator, I bypassed the radiator cooler completely with my external cooler.
Besides the transmission running cooler, the other noticeable difference in my old, worn transmission is that in hot weather it shifts into reverse better.
Graeme, 220 degrees! Wow! That seems high.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Thats' a great idea Bill - now I know what Santa will bring me for Christmas!

Yes, temperature is a bit concerning, stays around 180 until under load (up hills etc) when it zips up. Take load off and it cools down to around 200. Fluid is not burnt so that is a good sign.

cheers,

Graeme
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Hi Bill and readers,

hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Just returning to this thread & reporting on the results. I purchased a cheap infra-red gauge/thermometer and checked the upper/lower line temps after a run. (engine running in Park)

Results I found were:

- temperature gauge on return line read 180 degrees F
- infra-red gauge pointed to the top return line also read 180 degrees - confirmation was good to see :roll:
- infra-red gauge directed to bottom return line read 170 degrees

As mentioned earlier in this thread, my hot line was reading 220 degrees sometimes so I will be interested in checking what the return line temperate is then, I will update results when I can. (I really hope the difference is not 10 degrees in this scenario, surely too hot!)

thanks all.

Graeme