Thanks, guys

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

SBurney

Thanks, guys

Post by SBurney »

I got all of my interior parts back from the paint shop, so today I rebuilt the steering column. I'll start with the before and after pics.

I especially wanted to thank Paul and Steve. Your prior posts were invaluable, and Paul's explanation of Thing 1 and Thing 2 were just what I needed when I had that one leftover part. The bright side is that I got pretty good at reconnecting the turn signal hub to the shift hub. I don't know if it's been detailed before, but I did it by starting the nut on the side opposite the hole for the shift tube bolt, shoving the 2 pieces together, then reaching through that hole to put the other bolt in.

Also, I wanted to get the neutral start switch adjusted before I put it back in the car since I figured it would be easier on the bench than on my back in the car. I used a couple of ohm meters, I hooked up to the neutral start terminals, the other hooked up to the backup light terminals. The NSS terminals are the ones that are closer together, the backup light terminals are farther apart. Here's how it looked when I had it all set.

When I started taking the interior apart I found the NSS disconnected and jumped. Either The guy that rebuilt the engine or a previous mechanic must have done that because they didn't know how to adjust it. As you can see, though, it seems to work just like it's supposed to when it's properly adjusted.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
sseebart

Re: Thanks, guys

Post by sseebart »

Looks great! Loved the trick for adjusting the nss on the bench--looking forward to photos of it back in place.

~Steve
paulr

Re: Thanks, guys

Post by paulr »

Ditto Steve's remark; that's a slick way to adjust the neutral switch. And nice paint work on the column!

Man, I find it hilarious that Ford rotated the switch in MY65 to 3 o'clock position to make it "more convenient". Bollocks! With the column in car, it's a neck-breaker if you ever have to deal with it. The 12 o'clock location on our '64s is downright sadistic.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson