Engine racing problem-need ideas!!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

peterb10

Engine racing problem-need ideas!!

Post by peterb10 »

It’s been a long time since my last post, I follow the forum almost daily, so interesting, but no problems. Until the other day !!

I was getting ready for a show, started the car normally, pulled car out, let engine run while cleaning, shut car off, 3 hours later started to go to show, that’s when I ran into problems!

When I started the car the engine started racing, full throttle, I pumped the gas pedal to free linkage, still racing, turned key off, still racing, opened hood and disconnected battery shut-off switch, the engine finally shut-off!!
I restarted 3 times with no problem, went to show tried starting 3 more times. I asked many people if anyone could point me to an area that might have caused this problem, nobody could help.

The confusing part is that it would not shut off with key but it did when I disconnected the battery, I thought it would normally keep going without the battery.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Peterb, I have a 1966 Thunderbird Town Hardtop 428
jtschug

Re: Engine racing problem-need ideas!!

Post by jtschug »

Does it have cruise control?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
peterb10

Post by peterb10 »

no it does not have cruise control
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Sounds like two issues, one with the racing motor, the other not being able to shut it off with the key.

For the racing motor, you'll need to go through the linkage--it pretty much has to be a mechanical bind somewhere.

For the record, I once had a similar condition that I traced to a bind in the kick-down linkage.

When my car was new to me, I had some bare wires where the previous owner had bypassed the NSS(!). When these grounded against the firewall, the motor would continue to run with the key in the off position. You may have a similar short somewhere in the system and/or a bad ignition switch.

~Steve
peterb10

Post by peterb10 »

Thanks guys,
sseebart I will check out your 2 suggestions
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Make sure all the parts are there. Sometimes when someone removes an engine they don' tget everything back in. So much so that some parts are reproduced. Take 9B853, that part is almost always cast aside but you can get it new.

Good luck,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
peterb10

Post by peterb10 »

Thanks Scott, I've asked a Thunderbird expert for some help, and i'm sure he can figure this problem out. I'll show hime all the posts.
thanks again guys