Water pump thermostat bypass

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

6t6

Water pump thermostat bypass

Post by 6t6 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I did some reading but haven't found a solution.

I'm having some trouble getting the metal tube out of the engine block that connects into the back of the water pump (coupled with a 2"or so piece of rubber hose).

The tube is rusted and falling apart, I put some liquid wrench on it but haven't had any luck getting it to budge.- I think there's some silicon in there too.

I tried using some smaller vice grips, using just enough pressure to clamp down on the tube without crumpling it. I also tried getting a small screw driver between the outside of the tube and the block...

Any advice is appreciated.

Also if anyone knows what the replacement tube is supposed to be I would like to know that as well.

Thanks

redstangbob

Re: Water pump thermostat bypass

Post by redstangbob » Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Simply crush the tube to deform it and pull it all out. Google Ford FE bypass tube and you'll find plenty of sources. Here's one https://www.alexsparts.com/water-bypass ... 8-x-2-1-2/ You drive the new part in.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop

6t6

Post by 6t6 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Excellent, thanks. I'll give it whirl.

Summer is here, which means it's time to drive the bird... Also means it's time to work on it

6t6

Post by 6t6 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 am

So I crimped down on the tube, cinched it down and this thing would not budge. After working on it a bit it broke off... Pretty easily.

I ended up using a smaller Flathead screwdriver to wedge between the tube and block, got it in a little way, tried the same on the other side... Looked like I may be able to pry it out but no dice.

I ended up using a wider blade and with a couple taps it went in the block. Stuck my finger in the thermostat hole and fished it out.

Going to check the local parts stores tomorrow for a replacement, otherwise I see there are plenty of options online.

redstangbob

Post by redstangbob » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 am

They can be pretty crusty after 50 years :???: Be sure to clean the hole, you don't want to do this job twice. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

Moderator 64-66 Forum
65 hardtop