Power windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tbirdmike63

Power windows

Post by tbirdmike63 »

Hey everyone, I have a 66 q code, I've had the car for about a month and a half and since then the passenger side window didn't work, but the driver side did, I did hear a slight click when I engaged the passenger side switch, now here the strange thing, the car has been in the shop for about a week for a fuel sending unit, when I got the car back the passenger side window works now and the driver's side doesn't!!!!!!! Tbird goblins at work, anybody have this happen to them, any idea what's going on, I thought for sure the passenger side window was toast, now it goes up and down great, and the driver's side is dead??????Thanks!
RedBird64

Re: Power windows

Post by RedBird64 »

Don't try to make sense of the voodoo electrical problems these cars exhibit. It will just keep you up at night!
With virtually no use, my car destroyed its convenience light relay and decided to never show more than 1/4 tank of fuel. All that with no more than 25 miles of use.
Can you imagine how bad it would be if I actually drove it?

At least you know those expensive motors are probably OK. How do the switches feel? If they kind of crunch or have no tactile feedback they could be going south.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

Im not good at electrical stuff, if there a way to override (jump) the switches to see if the switch is the problem?
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

tbirdmike63 wrote:Hey everyone, I have a 66 q code, I've had the car for about a month and a half and since then the passenger side window didn't work, but the driver side did, I did hear a slight click when I engaged the passenger side switch, now here the strange thing, the car has been in the shop for about a week for a fuel sending unit, when I got the car back the passenger side window works now and the driver's side doesn't!!!!!!! Tbird goblins at work, anybody have this happen to them, any idea what's going on, I thought for sure the passenger side window was toast, now it goes up and down great, and the driver's side is dead??????Thanks!
Yes this has happened to me also, I got the 66 Landau in December, the passenger window was stuck in the up position, so one while out driving her, suddenly the Passenger windows starts working, then I take it to a guy to do upholstery on the driver seat, and the Pass. window gets stuck up again, so I loosen the window and it works again, mean while the driver windows is working perfect, so last week I change the brake switch on the pedal and replace the stop light relay in the trunk, and suddenly my driver window stops working, tapping on it with a rubber mallet while pushing the window switch in the down position, it works again, so from now on I do not put the windows all the way up, they tend to get stuck in the up position, I think it is the stops binding the windows in the up position, clean the regulator, lube the tracks. I swear my car is jinxed, so now I am going down the road and my driver side mirror falls off the bracket and hanging by the cables, so I fixed that today. it always some thing, it seems.
Johnny T-Bird, Whats the T stand for :grab:
paulr

Post by paulr »

tbirdmike63 wrote:Hey everyone, I have a 66 q code, I've had the car for about a month and a half and since then the passenger side window didn't work, but the driver side did, I did hear a slight click when I engaged the passenger side switch, now here the strange thing, the car has been in the shop for about a week for a fuel sending unit, when I got the car back the passenger side window works now and the driver's side doesn't!!!!!!! Tbird goblins at work, anybody have this happen to them, any idea what's going on, I thought for sure the passenger side window was toast, now it goes up and down great, and the driver's side is dead??????Thanks!
Based on what you've included here, I'm going to agree with RB64's comment that your motors are probably still good--though an examination of those motors (when there's time) is important. Don't worry about "not being good at electrics"; after a few more miles, this car will kinda force you to get better, lol. The switch plate in the middle of the console (at least this is true on dozens of old Birds I've inspected) got drowned by spilled coffee with cream and sugar over time. The result is rusted switches. Slip a small flat screwdriver under the plate and lift the whole thing up. Each switch is plugged. You'll be able to unplug everything, and examine them all on your bench. Maybe they can be cleaned up. If you have to, there are reproduction switches available; I'm not a big fan, personally. I've bought a couple, and found I had to solder some pretty poor construction but, after that they are ok switches---BUT NOT FOR THE PRICE.
If you eliminate your switches as the issue, then you're likely going to be concerned with wire connections. There are a lot of them, and there can be corrosion at any or all of them. Simple issue, they have to be found, cleaned, and reconnected. That's where the gremlins come in with these Birds, and I do believe in ghosts I do believe in ghosts I do I do I do...

Uh, back on earth, the windows are a complex early tech Tbird wonder. You got all this to deal with:
1. Regulator
a. spring orientation
b. grease
c. rollers/nylon guides
d. mounting adjustment, adjustment, ADJUSTMENT (this can go on until you lose your mind)
2. wiring harness i.e. corrosion, connection issues, grounding
3. window relay
4. switches, main and back
5. rubber stops and bumpers
6. motors, gears

And then there's the vent window channel, felts, and rubber seals. Enjoy. (Seriously, we feel your pain. Holler if we can help).
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

As per Paul, one little addition, to trace stuff you need the wiring diagrams to separate the circuits. If not good luck.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

Well, got into the car started it up tried the window......It worked, I think the track needs to be lubed up, I bought some powder graphite lube, gonna give that a try, then I will get into the door and lube up some stuff in there, I'm going to try to remember to not bring the windows all the way up, I think that's when they jam up.
paulr

Post by paulr »

tbirdmike63 wrote:I'm going to try to remember to not bring the windows all the way up, I think that's when they jam up.
Mike, is the car a hardtop? If yes, your 50 year old rubber stops are surely all done. Assuming other systems are properly working, if you replace all rubber stops and weatherstripping the motors, ergo the windows, won't stick.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

It is a hard top, I will have to replace those parts I'm sure they are original and probably need replacing. I will do some research on the forum as how to do this, since I have no idea. Thanks