No heat

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tbirdmike63

No heat

Post by tbirdmike63 »

Hey everyone, got the new exhaust put on the bird, started it up, let it warm up, realized not getting any heat, I got all the settings on the dash for heat, but the air blows out cool, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
David Langhorne

Re: No heat

Post by David Langhorne »

Need to know if your car has A/C or not
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

Hello, yes my car does have AC, its doesn't work, but its all there.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Check the coolant level.

If the coolant is full, check if you have vacuum at the heater valve mounted to the passenger side shock tower.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

How do you check for vacuum at the heater valve, I probably shouldn't disconnect it, will water come out? I don't know what the heater valve looks like.
paulr

Post by paulr »

tbirdmike63 wrote:How do you check for vacuum at the heater valve, I probably shouldn't disconnect it, will water come out? I don't know what the heater valve looks like.
First, and most important, you really need a Tbird service manual for this car, given all the repairs you are launching.
Not an option.

The (A/C car) valve you seek is fastened to the passenger side inside fender just under the shock tower brace like Jtshug mentioned, kinda near the hood hinge, heater hoses, etc. Small, gold (if not too dirty) cad plated round thing that's plugged into one of the heater hoses. On the top of it there's a 1/4" rubber vacuum hose; pull that off and feel if it has any vacuum with the car running, heater on. (Water doesn't come out there). No vacuum--not a great sign, but probably not a major problem either. Manual will troubleshoot the issue.

That manual has this and a hundred other tests you will be using as you dive in. Available at all the Tbird vendors, Ebay, etc. pretty cheap. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbirdmike63

Post by tbirdmike63 »

I did remove the 1/4 inch tube from the valve and there was no vacuum, not that I could feel, but i did connect a couple of vacuum lines that were disconnected, let the car run for a while, and I started to feel some heat, so I think I fixed that problem. I did notice one vacuum line that had been cut, its the one that comes out of the passenger side panel right behind the battery, I believe there is a vacuum tank inside the fender well, what does that vacuum line connect to and what is it for? Thanks!
paulr

Post by paulr »

Good. Some P.O. has monkeyed with the car and not been thoughtful. Any vacuum lines that are cut are just adding problems; close them all and assume that a you should spend time remapping your vacuum systems and making repairs and replacements when you have the time. The Osborn manual (the electrical one) shows diagrams of all those lines.

That vac line to the water valve has a very low pressure; when you feel just a little bit, that's probably about it.

The canister beneath the right fender (I"m trying to remember--you have a '66, right? ) is part of your HVAC system. Check it for vacuum leaks, too. There are vacuum lines inside and under your dashboard which I HOPE have not been cut. Any that are cut will account for certain issues as well as contribute to engine roughness. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Sometime that heater valve can get clogged with rust and silt especially if the car has been sitting for a long time.