Lenses for Fender Mounted Turn Signals

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sseebart

Lenses for Fender Mounted Turn Signals

Post by sseebart »

The right side "gunsight" turn signal indicator finally gave up the ghost recently. (The front and rear indicators work fine, but the fender mounted light is dead.) Ideally, I'd like to get in there and replace the bulb, replacing the lenses while I'm at it, since they both look like this:

I see, though, that the vendors I know only offer complete units, in pairs, for about $80, which is a lot for bulbs and lenses. (My original housings are in good shape--no way I want to pull them off for repop units.) I could swear I asked this question before, but I couldn't find anything in search; in any case, things may have changed with time: I'm wondering if anyone has ever found the lenses sold separately, installed a substitute or somehow fabricated a decent replacement?

~Steve
Silent Thunder

Re: Lenses for Fender Mounted Turn Signals

Post by Silent Thunder »

I have a set of OEM lenses. Just be aware $80 are after market fender indicators. OEM NOS are about $270. There fore you can buy after market indicators or if you can come across OEM NOS lenses buy them but they will not be cheap.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Check on eBay. I found a set of NOS lenses on there a while back. Think I only paid $10 for the pair.

By the way I also found a whole NOS indicator on eBay. I think it adorns redstangbob's car now.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

60fore wrote:Check on eBay. I found a set of NOS lenses on there a while back. Think I only paid $10 for the pair.

By the way I also found a whole NOS indicator on eBay. I think it adorns redstangbob's car now.
Good call. These are so fragile, I didn't consider NOS or used. I see there are a few complete units, both used and NOS for sale now--I'll keep my eye out for the right pair.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

I think there is a difference between NOS and reproduction. The NOS passenger-side lens has a small prismatic bevel toward the driver's direction while (I'm told) the reproduction lenses do not. I found this to really matter when I changed my bulb and put the lens back in wrong--with the bevel aimed wrong, that is. I could not see the flashing, even though it was operating correctly. After rotating the lens the problem was solved.

If you look really closely at the NOS lens it has an "R", which when installed upright, positions the bevel correctly. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

In times past, I have seen some lenses, both labeled L & R. Each has its own prismatic orientation, and if installed correctly the letters are right side up.
An installation tool can be fabricated, using a copper pipe, filed down or appropriate tube. Have also heard of I believe a US dime or nickel will work. Canadian currency, will not work, I am told, as it is of lesser value, and is not worth as much value to do the job. LOL (per Trump and NAFTA) :spam1:
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
60fore

Post by 60fore »

That's right Wally, the NOS set of lenses I bought had both "L" and "R" on them.

And as Paul said they have ridges on them while the repro lenses do not.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Do NOS lenses work in the reproduction housings?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
tbird

Post by tbird »

Believe they do.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

For what it's worth, the aftermarket kit I bought several years ago fit perfect and the chrome still looks great to this day. The lenses are indeed different but few would notice. The other nice thing about the repops is you get a new rubber gasket, which is usually long gone on the originals.
All the same, I did keep my original units - just in case.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Coach-Rev

Post by Coach-Rev »

Just bought a complete set of 64 fender turn signal units off ebay - restoring a 64 hardtop here and need to replace the lenses. O rings I can get at the hardware store, but those lenses seem susceptible to damage. The housings we have are in decent shape (we are still having them rechromed though) but the lenses were partially melted, flange was cracked off, missing an O ring on one, etc. Didn't run across any NOS on ebay but a few pairs of them, usually overpriced for lamps that need to be restored.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I have a ton of old fender lamps. The chrome isn't great on any of them, but the lenses are fine, and if you polish them up with some toothpaste, they will probably look good. I'm willing to sell pairs cheap (I have at least a half dozen of them laying around) if anyone wants an old set to try.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

The light bulb socket is just pushed into the housing and held by friction. I found that getting it out to replace the bulb or clean things up is almost impossible. When you have it out, drill a small hole in the side of the socket so that you can used a little hooked tool (like a dentist's pick) to grab onto the side of the socket and pull everything out. The wire should feed out as you do it, but you might need another pair of hands under the fender to both feed it out and pull it back.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That's a great idea Terry!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Coach-Rev

Post by Coach-Rev »

just purchased the complete NOS fender mount signal assembly (lenses included) for $255 off Ebay. Had previously purchased some used ones with decent lenses to replace/restore ours on a 64 remodel/restore that we are currently engaged in. Ours should be done (64 hard top) sometime late summer or fall.

It was expensive but worth it for the complete assembly, including gaskets.