New to forum with 66 bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ozbird

Re: New to forum with 66 bird

Post by ozbird »

Excellent - sounds like a great plan.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
tmbrwlf

Post by tmbrwlf »

Thanks ozbird considering if you look at the pics that I just added to the link I provided earlier in the post are you on her list I just literally cut anywhere between 75 and 90% of the trunk and rear end sheet metal out that I can gain access to the rails the frame rails the frame whatever you want to call the support for the party because the driver side rail from the front leaf spring mounts all the way to where the end in the rear bumper marker is completely rotted out if it's no good the driver side has extensive damage between the front Leaf Spring Mount and the axle itself not completely to the back I believe the picture show what you see in there of the to frame rails is the hole for the tow hook and then the two holes next to it or a little to the side of it are the two holes for the bumper Mount bolts and on the driver side you'll notice it's all rusted out you can actually see the collapse blocks inside of the frame Channel and on the passenger side they seem to be just fine with pitted rust I am going to attempt while I have to it won't be an attempt but I will be 100% properly building Andrey fabricating these rails from the rear all the way up to where they stopped underneath the rear seats and then I'll replace all the sheet metal in the rear and trunk areas once that is complete basically having rebuilt the entire way around right back to the specs of the original frame without customizing anything
tmbrwlf

Post by tmbrwlf »

Okay I really need help here in the 1966 Ford Thunderbird service manual towards the back as an underbody diagram or Dimensions illustration the frame rails and the measurements to square up the entire frame rail or body from front bumper and rear bumper I am trying to get this diagram of these two diagrams of the framing and that all the measurements in a PDF or image that I can have blown up to actual size and measurements so that I can completely rebuild the rear frame and rail section of this car because it they're completely rusted out and I want to make sure that the car measures properly and is square to the measurements of these of the proper diagrams and measurements is there any place or anyone that has these diagrams out of the service manual that I can download or have sent to me or where I can find these it would be greatly appreciated thank you
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

If the torque boxes are rotted, most people would consider the car a goner--they are the heart of the unibody. I've read on this forum (but can't find the thread) that the difficulty in reworking them is keeping things straight. Not to say that it hasn't been done. Here's a discussion from a few years back on this issue: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... f=7&t=8658.

That thread points to this amazing rust restoration of a Mustang, similar to the project you've taken on: http://www.spiuserforum.com/forum/show- ... st-repair=

Good luck!

~Steve
tmbrwlf

Post by tmbrwlf »

I've added approximately forty or fifty more pictures to this file the bird is back in the garage up on jack stands permanently while I finish marking up the floor as you can see in the pictures for all the chassis measuring points so I can keep the bird square , she's level from side to side front to back she holds true

https://goo.gl/photos/9oDktaiU47D8hKqGA
tmbrwlf

Post by tmbrwlf »

Does anybody know what the tolerances were what they could be within as far as the measurements on the chassis or underbody measuring points that the service manual gives you I really need to know what the tolerances where could they be within an eighth of an inch could they be within 5 inches it you know what I mean I've got all the measurements but I need to know what my tolerance is to make sure that I have this Within you know it's specs help here would be really appreciated on that