Rear brake hose

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mainstreetprod

Rear brake hose

Post by mainstreetprod »

I went under the car to replace the rear brake hose and never spotted it (having some dizziness problems so couldn't stay under long). I did see a rubber hose on the passenger side that goes from the inner fender and appears to go into the top of the axle near the brake drum. Doesn't look like the brake hose to me, and neither end is like my replacement. What is it?
60fore

Re: Rear brake hose

Post by 60fore »

The hose you spotted is the rear axle vent hose.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

The hose you seek is located just over the rear axle "pumpkin:"

~Steve
mainstreetprod

Post by mainstreetprod »

Thanks for posting the photo Steve, it's going to be very helpful when I'm able to get back under. Not sure how i missed the hose. I crawled under the middle of the car and was even able to feel the steel line on back of the axle, but could not spot the rubber hose. Looks like I'll have to go by feel when hooking up the two lines to the junction block, as it sits on top of the axle.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Just a suggestion, I would put several shots of a penetrant (Knock'em Loose or) on the fittings a day before you want to replace the hose... Also be sure to use a tube wrench. You can buy them at Auto Zone, pretty cheap. Otherwise you'll round off the flats on the fittings with an open end wrench.
paulr

Post by paulr »

mainstreetprod wrote:Looks like I'll have to go by feel when hooking up the two lines to the junction block, as it sits on top of the axle.
Precisely why this is one of the more challenging repairs. The line wrenches (I call 'em), 3/8" IIRC, that gravelman posted about are essential as a replacement for your view, since you have almost none. Those fittings were seriously frozen on the two cars that I have done, and you're dead if they get rounded. If you're thinking well, I'll just replace the whole main rear line assembly, that's a good alternative; just cut everything out. However, where the block anchors (either end) can also be a rusted mess, so soaking is good advice there also.

Make absolutely sure the rubber is oriented away from the exhaust.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I was also taught to 'bump' the wrench (as opposed to applying steady pressure) to break the fitting free. Does anyone else practice that?

~Steve
mainstreetprod

Post by mainstreetprod »

Haven't worked on the rear line yet but needed a line wrench to remove the line to the rear from the proportioning valve. Went to Harbor Freight and got what they told me was a set of line wrenches. Would not hold even as well as an open end. Tried a small pair of vice grips which held it very tightly but I couldn't break it loose, even after two days of penetrant. Finally cut the line and resolved to replace it. New one is on order but not sure how to get it from under the car the the engine compartment without tearing inner fender apart. Most of the parts for the rear should be here tomorrow so I'll tackle that soon. Scared my wife to death today when I tried to back onto the ramps with no brakes- parking brake as usual didn't work well in reverse and I went off the ramps and into the street, only stopping by throwing it in Drive.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Scared my wife to death today when I tried to back onto the ramps with no brakes- parking brake as usual didn't work well in reverse and I went off the ramps and into the street, only stopping by throwing it in Drive.
On a slight incline, the car rolled back, tipped over the jackstands and fell flat on the ground.
What kind of flowers should we send to the funeral home, sounds like you're determined to kill yourself :roll: I hope you have somebody with real brake experience look things over before you put that old iron on public roads, brakes are important. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
mainstreetprod

Post by mainstreetprod »

The internet is a pretty anonymous place Bob- just think, at the next regional meet, I could be the guy right behind you on the caravan to the car museum!

Seriously, despite all the mishaps, I have been around the block a time or two with this - probably done 20 or more brake jobs, most in the 70's on Falcons, Torinos and pre war Fords, and a few recently on late model drivers. I did have the advantage of Dad looking over my shoulder and his complete stock of tools and machine shop back then. I'll be spending today under the car pulling all the lines and trust me, I've learned my lesson, it will be secured to the hilt. :mrgreen:
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The internet is a pretty anonymous place Bob- just think, at the next regional meet, I could be the guy right behind you on the caravan to the car museum!
Not sure where you're going with all of that, but yes the world is a big bad place and you never know who you'll run in to (pun intended) Because I do this stuff everyday, I often see work done by owners (very often amateurs) that is incorrect at best and sometimes even dangerous. Searching here will lead to very many threads about brakes, even though the basic system hasn't changed in many years the workings are often misunderstood. Please be safe, and careful, so you can enjoy this classic old car. And if you end up behind me at an event, I don't want to meet you "by accident" :smile:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop