Exhaust Manifold Bolt Locking Tab Washers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Dave Stambaugh

Exhaust Manifold Bolt Locking Tab Washers

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

Is it absolutely necessary to use the Locking Tab Washers on the exhaust manifold bolts? Is there another Bolt/lock washer configuration that works?
tbird

Re: Exhaust Manifold Bolt Locking Tab Washers

Post by tbird »

Ford used a different manifold bolt locking system in the late 60's/70's called ramp locks. Why do you want to change from the tab locks?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Dave Stambaugh

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

I am probably not installing them correctly but even with the tab locks the bolts loosen up after about 1000 to 1500 miles and I have to replace the gaskets again.
tbird

Post by tbird »

What are you using for a gasket?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I am probably not installing them correctly
You are bending a tab up against a flat side of the nut, aren't you????? :?:
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Dave Stambaugh

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

Thanks Jim (you always provide great advice). I just ordered a new set of bolts washers and locking tabs. Do I need to fold over all of the tabs or is one enough?

Dave
tbird

Post by tbird »

Dave
You did not tell me what kind of manifold gaskets that you used.

The original Ford factory gasket is actually called a heat shield it is a FELPRO # MS 95000 Napa #15521, this is a very thin metal gasket with metal bent to fit around the top of the exhaust manifolds designed to keep the heat away from the plug wires.
If you have not had your exhaust manifold surfaces "planed" ( they actually do this on a big belt sander) to true them up this must be done or you will have continuing problems. Paint the surfaces with a anti seize product this will help seal them and allow them to move as you tighten the bolts. tighten bolts evenly in the correct order to specified value do not bend tabs at this point. Start the engine let it warm up maybe drive around the block then recheck bolts as soon as it cools enough to work, you will likely find that each bolt will require a bit of tightening take a couple of short drives and do the check each time you will find that each time they require less tightening.

At this point it should be good to turn one tab over on the flat of the bolt head I try to pick one that is easy to bend back in case I need to.

Using this method I have even reused the gaskets on my own car with no issues.

Some of the users of this forum have used a solid soft copper gaskets with great success but I am a purist.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Dave Stambaugh

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

Thanks again Jim. I will let you know how it turns out. I am doing this with the engine in the car so it is a little more difficult than if it was out of the car as I am sure you know however I have the process down and it only takes me about four hours to do both sides. Should get my new parts in a about a week so I will not be ready to take the car to Kansas City.

Am I okay to use the Fel-Pro fiber gaskets with metal on one side?

Thanks once more

Dave
tbird

Post by tbird »

Dave
You should be able to get the ⅜' x 1" (original bolt was actually 1 ⅛") bolts at any bolt store I use stainless steel, forgot to mention that threads should be coated with anti seize compound also.

Do not use the gaskets with the filler in them they do not usually last.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Dave, looking forward to meet you in Kansas. Looks like its going to be another fun event. If not with the car, but atleast as an attendee.
In MY experience, with others, the fibre gaskets, are NOT the right item for the exhaust application, in time they will fail. Jim (tbird) 's advice is the best way to go. Antiseeze is highly recommended, on the gasket faces and bolts, when buttoning up the joint to allow creep, until tight. Repeated torqueing on temp cycles, is favourable.
After this being the third motor I have done with my birds without ever having an exhaust failure, in 30 plus years, I think the method is sound.

Wally K
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible