Alternatives to mechanical sequential relay?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

hurleyman77

Alternatives to mechanical sequential relay?

Post by hurleyman77 »

I bought me a '66 a while back and I finally have time to work on it again.

My two main issues right now are the distributor and the sequential relay for the brake lights and real signals. I pulled apart the sequential relay and it looks to be in good shape. I think the contacts are just too worn to get a reliable signal. I'd like to replace it with something electronic, rather than mechanical. But I'm okay with a straight replacement so long as it's new.

Has anyone had any luck with a particular part?
mainstreetprod

Re: Alternatives to mechanical sequential relay?

Post by mainstreetprod »

Are the points pitted? If not, I would do this first:

1) hit the points with electronic cleaner (I used CRC brand and they suddenly looked like new)

2) Figure out which of the bulbs is not flashing reliably and which point operates it, then bend the fixed point support just a bit with needlenose pliers so it's a fraction closer, but still not making contact. Only burnish the points with an emery board as a last resort- that can take off the plating originally put on the points to make them last.

If the sequential motor is good, I'll bet this puts you in business (it got me going). If not, I found this company which makes electronic conversions mainly for Cougar sequential systems but also for Tbirds:

http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/tbparts.htm

I'm guessing even if you order from a Tbird parts house, the part originates with them.
Royce Richmond

Re: Alternatives to mechanical sequential relay?

Post by Royce Richmond »

I purchased an electronic replacement from the tbird parts houses and it is a direct plug in. No problems since install and it is quiet..no grinding noises. You have to tell them if you have an early or late 66 as the plug connectors are different. If you don't know just count the number of plugs you have coming from the old unit. that will tell them which to send to you. I think they are about $190 but well worth it.
Royce