Door ajar solved

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

paulr

Door ajar solved

Post by paulr »

"Walk away for 30 minutes, and the problem will clear up in your mind." Always true. Well, In the Door Ajar case I walked away for 2 years and it cleared up really nice. At the end of the first attempt I just threw up my hands and unplugged the switch to stop the flashing http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... f=7&t=9113

Now, I followed through with removing the door latches and going to the bench. Some previous owner had unwisely sprayed white lithium grease inside the latches. This is not a good idea, here's why:
The mechanism is a fine machine with 4 strong springs and delicate movement, made of brass. It doesn't need heavy white lithium, which will only attract and build up dust which will eventually stop movement. What looks like rust, isn't; it's just gunk. Cleaned up, the switch looks new.
Imager
At this point, you have to reinstall the switch which allows you to easily turn the adjusting screw by hand in order to find the sweet spot that closes the circuit. Hint: the plunger is what you're adjusting; the sweet spot is neither at the top nor the bottom of travel, it's somewhere in the middle. The adjustment can be pleasantly precise. Tighten the locking nut, and it's done.

I did lubricate the whole switch with a spray of Kroil, and then blew it out with the compressor.

Finally, 64 switch looks like those above. Ford entirely redesigned the 65/66 part, giving it a different actuator. They share some springs, but aside from that there is very little resemblance. The build-up of gunk and grease should also be the cause of malfunction on a 65/66, and could be solved with cleaning. (I bought a pair of '65 switches via Ebay for $15, just because I had to see how they worked.) On the 65/66 switch, gone is the tricky plunger, and it's replaced with nothing. The actuator is just a spring which, by appearances, doesn't look like it can be adjusted, and doesn't need to be.

It's great to restore these funky little things. It's American automotive excellence from the artful period. Hope this helps someone else out!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Re: Door ajar solved

Post by RAVEN »

In actuality the 65 /66 uses a brass whisker finger which rides on a landing and contacts when door is closed. ( Jim and Bob correct me if my descript is off), A very simple method of contact. In my opinion I like the 64 design better as it is a sealed switch vs an open contact. Although it can be a PITA to set up.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Great tech item. I'd like to see this developed into a short "how-to" article for the Scoop with some in-place and dis-/re-assembly photos and hints on how to remove/reinstall the latch assembly. Contact me via PM. Thanks.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Great photos--thanks for posting. I just cleaned mine a couple of weeks ago. Fifty years of grease, hair, fuzz, gunk made it difficult to lift the button for the door lock, even manually (the power actuator couldn't handle it). Now, everything works like new.
1966 Town Hardtop
66_Charly

Post by 66_Charly »

In this post are some photos of the 66 switch:
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... 161#p41161
David

RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Also remember that a different latch assembly exists for a CONVIENCE PACKAGE optioned car for 64, and also for a 65/66. There is an additional actuator lever used for the vacuum pot linkage, and how it all joins together.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

Just to go a little further on Ravens statement the complete latch is different from 64-65/66. If I remember correctly the mounting holes in the doors are different on the 64.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

Jim,
That's true. The mounting points are entirely different. Secondly, the actuator rods are positioned differently and they are different lengths. There's no way to interchange parts between 64 and 65/66.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson